83 GS1100 Dies for no reason

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 GS1100 Dies for no reason

The bike dies at random, it will do it at idle or at speed. Does it when it's hot or cold. It just quits. Like I shut it off. No coughing or sputtering. Just dead. But it starts right up like nothing is wrong, but I'm stumped. I replaced the electronic ignition (pulser/advance) It's not a fuel problem. Anyone experience this??

Sounds electrical- like a connection in ignition switch, kill switch or in a connector along path from ignitor and signal coils or even a even a fuse that is failing.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by P1NK EL3PHANT View Post
      The bike dies at random, it will do it at idle or at speed. Does it when it's hot or cold. It just quits. Like I shut it off. No coughing or sputtering. Just dead. But it starts right up like nothing is wrong, but I'm stumped. I replaced the electronic ignition (pulser/advance) It's not a fuel problem. Anyone experience this??
      There is a reason you just need to find it.

A bad connection short or similar is most likely.

Lack of regular maintenance by previous owners!

You need to make your way along the wiring harness from the battery and check every connection and switch.
      Johno

current rides 1981 GS1000G and 2005 GSX1400
      1977 Kawasaki KZ400 D4

previous bikes 1978 GS1000HC
      1977 GS400
      1974 Montesa 250
      1960s Kawasaki 175

Comment

Intermittant problems are the worst to troubleshoot.
        It does sound like a wiring/ignition problem.
        Since you say it does it when it's hot or cold it doesn't sound like a thermal problem.
        Do you lose your lights when it dies, or do they stay on?
        If they stay on, I would start with the ignition circuit first.
        sigpic
        Steve
        "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Chase the ground- every single one.

Comment

Usually on cars, this means a loose motor ground.

Comment

Originally posted by P1NK EL3PHANT View Post
              I had the same thing going on and a bad run/off switch was the problem on my bike .

Comment

Check the wiring in the headlight bucket. Bet you have a wire that is shorting when you turn the handlebars. Probably the kill switch wires. Ask me how I know!

Comment

whats on your key ring. some times they will swing or twist. causing the interment problem.

Comment

Had the exact problem with 450, it would just die all of sudden with no lights or anything, soon as turned key off and back on everything worked. Changed ignition switch (after trying to clean old one), no more problem. terrylee

Comment

Also make sure the fuse block is clean and replace the fuses.
                      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                      X