Electrical Nirvana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrical Nirvana

Much discussion here about the Shindengen SH775 R/R unit.

I'm going to open another can o'worms:

What then is the best stator out there, in terms of both output and reliability?

Does combining that stator and the SH775 give us an increase in current capacity over the stock setup, or just more reliability?

A brand new OEM stator made in early eighties would be my pick!
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by 850GT_Rider View Post
      Much discussion here about the Shindengen SH775 R/R unit.

I'm going to open another can o'worms:

What then is the best stator out there, in terms of both output and reliability?

Does combining that stator and the SH775 give us an increase in current capacity over the stock setup, or just more reliability?
      If you have a real series R/R then you can potentially get more power out with a different stator. However, most charging system outputs are limited by the magnetic flux that can be supported in the rotor and not the stator.

As RPM goes up the ability to create power continues to increase, it is the rotor magnetics that are the ultimate limit at high RPM no matter what stator you have.

So the only benefit of changing the stator (even potentially) is that it will improve the low RPM voltage and power output.

The Electrosport is supposedly would for 20% higher output (manufacturers claim). It has to be subject the rotor magnetic constraints I mention. I have had good luck with the ES stator and the Compufire.

EDITed 3/18/2013

I do know that a FET R/R and the ES Stator
      ( delete Compufire)
      will burn up which suggests that there is actually a higher output at lower RPM.
      Last edited by posplayr; 03-18-2013, 10:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X