GS550 L not sparking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550 L not sparking

Hi I've got a problem with my newly purchased GS550 L, there is no spark at the plug. There is a live to the coils and everything else seem to work, anyone got any ideas as to what it might be? I unfortunately have no workshop manual or wiring diagram. Thanks

Bad plug wires? Is it only one cylinder or all four?

Comment

Hi Toasty, its on all 4 that there is no spark. I have tried some different coils and still no joy.

Comment

Hmm... Are the coil grounds in place and clean?

Comment

Yes redone all the grounds, cleaned all connectors. I'm beginning to wonder if its the signal generator or something more serious

Comment

Just in passing what is the year of the bike.

Comment

its 1979/80 it has the transistor type ignition.

Comment

Did you buy it in this condition, or did it fail later?

Basscliff has pretty similiar wiring diagrams to offer clues

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Hi Tom thanks for the links I bought it as a non runner, I've cleaned a lot of it up and ultrasonically cleaned the carbs, had hoped to just put some fuel in it and then fire it up...didn't work out like that though

Comment

Originally posted by Andyl View Post
                    Hi Tom thanks for the links I bought it as a non runner, ....
                    It might be something simple-like a connection- or worst case, the ignitor is no good. Do some testing. Lots of these critters get abandoned for simple stuff.
                    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

if there is power to each coil and you're sure that each coil is good then i'd put my money on a bad ignition box. see if someone will lend you one to test.... or better still, send yours to someone on here to test on a known good bike...

Comment

Here's a simple to follow 550 wiring diagram off Basscliffs

1981 gs650L

Comment

Working...
                        X