Intermittent horn problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intermittent horn problems

Sometimes with the engine off the horn will work and then it wont. it will always work when the switch is off on the right hand control. I need to get it inspected so im worried this will cause it to not pass. Anyone know where to start to look. Im charging my battery right now to see if that has remedies the problem.

It's probably either a connection or grounding issue. First thing I would check is the horn ground and if it's clean and the connector going to the horn. Then the voltage after the button (it just closes the circuit). Basically the power flows from the switched 12V, through the switch (which has contacts), when pressing the button the circuit is closes and power flows to the horn, and the horn is grounded.
    Last edited by Guest; 03-19-2013, 12:35 PM.

Comment

The first thing to do is clean the contacts at the horn. Usually that will fix it but if not you will next have to clean the contacts in the horn button which entails taking the left hand control off. Be careful cleaning those contacts as they are fragile and there is a spring that can go flying. The wires from the control plug into the main harness inside the headlight so you should pull that connector apart and clean it too.

Its not difficult, just take your time and be careful with the little parts.

Good luck,
      Spyug

Comment

Originally posted by Toasty View Post
        ....Then the voltage after the button (it just closes the circuit). Basically the power flows from the switched 12V, through the switch (which has contacts), when pressing the button the circuit is closes and power flows to the horn, and the horn is grounded.
        Huh ?...With ignition switched "ON", 12 volt + is fed to horn- when you press button, this completes circuit via grounding and beep, beep. The right hand switch should do nothing for horn- the horn comes off the turn signal fuse, so something is amiss. Head to Basscliff's for the colored wiring diagram.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

What he means is:

With the kill switch?? off.. the horn works..since the ignition is taken out of the equation.

this could mean a couple of things: (or both)

1. The horn won't work with low voltage.. maybe the horn is bad or weak....and/or the voltage drops in all the connectors are lowering the voltage..
          check and clean all connections.

OR

2. the battery has too low a voltage at rest.

When the bike is started, it is obviously charging since the horn then works.. I'd still check the charging system... and the battery .

I will bet that a different horn solves this one...i've seen them get touchy, but a multimeter should help with your diagnosis.
          Last edited by Guest; 03-19-2013, 04:27 PM.

Comment

I loosened the nut holding the horn and now it works all of the time, although it sound is a little different. But now it works so problem solved i guess, at least for now.

Comment

Working...
            X