Melted stator connections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Melted stator connections

I was prepping my bike for a trip to Florida tomorrow, and I noticed the three bullet connectors connecting my three stator AC output wires to my 'duaneage' Honda R/R. What caused the melting? Do you think I'm good to go tomorrow, or will my trip be doomed by an electrical gremlin? I have the R/R grounded to the battery, and all connections were very solid when installed, and dielectric greased.

I have noticed that my bullets lost contact area over time and that my dielectric grease had actually caused a sort of green corrosion.

The three yellow wires were scorched slightly.

I soldered the wires to make a solid connection and no mor eproblems.

I would never go on a trip till I got this fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
      I have noticed that my bullets lost contact area over time and that my dielectric grease had actually caused a sort of green corrosion.

The three yellow wires were scorched slightly.

I soldered the wires to make a solid connection and no mor eproblems.

I would never go on a trip till I got this fixed.
      Right
      Solder them directly.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
        Right
        Solder them directly.
        Aye...Looks like I'm in for a long night, guys...lol. What do you think caused the melt? I have a voltmeter, and everything is in spec there...

Comment

The famous stator loop to handlebar switch caused your doom. Very common problem. Check the Newbie Mistakes thread linked in my signature, it may help you avoid similar problems.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Resistance is the cause of this evil.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
              The famous stator loop to handlebar switch caused your doom. Very common problem. Check the Newbie Mistakes thread linked in my signature, it may help you avoid similar problems.
              Hmm, well doesn't a duaneage regulator bypass the switch loop? I looked at the wiring diagram and it just shows one of the stator AC leads going to a connector, but then straight to the RR... What am I missing?

Comment

picture please?
                I have three leads on my bike all of which are hard wired to the regulator\rectifier.

Comment

Hi,

I replaced the bullet connectors with spade connectors, neatly crimped, soldered, and shrink wrapped. I haven't had any trouble with them heating up. I bounce the connections once in a while to be sure they are making a clean connection.

Yes, that's a 7 wire r/r unit. I wish I could remember the model number. It's very robust. It has two grounds, two hot outs, and the three stator connections. I now have one ground to the (-) battery, one to a good common frame ground. I have one output directly to the (+) battery through an inline fuse and the other into the harness. It's been rock-solid for years. It's a bit larger than stock, hence the cutout on the mounting hole.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
                  Last edited by Guest; 03-20-2013, 12:20 AM.

Comment

Merely installing a "Duaneage" regulator does not bypass any wiring, you have to arrange the bypass.

In stock configuration, one wire from the stator goes to the left handlebar switch, then comes back down. Starting in some of the '79 and '80 models, the Feds mandated that the headlight be ON whenever the bike was running, so the headlight switch was first rendered immovable, then eliminated. When this happened, the stator wire that was disconnected when the lights were OFF, was re-routed at a connector before it got to the now non-existant switch on the handlebar. If you simply wire your R/R to the original wires, you will include this loop. However, if you connect the stator wires DIRECTLY to the R/R, you will bypass that loop.

Back to your original question: "what caused the melted connectors?"
                    As the connectors age, they lose a bit of tension, possibly even releasing their contact on their mating connector. Electricity will jump that gap with a small arc. "No big deal" you say? Think about how much heat can be in that arc. Not much? Think ARC WELDING. Yep, hot enough to get thick plate steel RED HOT. Yep, that's plenty warm to melt the insulation around the connectors.

You don't really have to solder your connections. Flat spade connectors have a better track record than round bullets, and they work quite well.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Cliff what do you mean by "bounce the connections", I haven't heard that term before.
                      Rob
                      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        Merely installing a "Duaneage" regulator does not bypass any wiring, you have to arrange the bypass.

In stock configuration, one wire from the stator goes to the left handlebar switch, then comes back down. Starting in some of the '79 and '80 models, the Feds mandated that the headlight be ON whenever the bike was running, so the headlight switch was first rendered immovable, then eliminated. When this happened, the stator wire that was disconnected when the lights were OFF, was re-routed at a connector before it got to the now non-existant switch on the handlebar. If you simply wire your R/R to the original wires, you will include this loop. However, if you connect the stator wires DIRECTLY to the R/R, you will bypass that loop.

Back to your original question: "what caused the melted connectors?"
                        As the connectors age, they lose a bit of tension, possibly even releasing their contact on their mating connector. Electricity will jump that gap with a small arc. "No big deal" you say? Think about how much heat can be in that arc. Not much? Think ARC WELDING. Yep, hot enough to get thick plate steel RED HOT. Yep, that's plenty warm to melt the insulation around the connectors.

You don't really have to solder your connections. Flat spade connectors have a better track record than round bullets, and they work quite well.

Brilliant information, sir! I guess I was looking for a switch in the diagram or something... This makes perfect sense. I just packed up half of my tools and wiring paraphernalia just in case. I do have towing...lol. I guess if worse comes to worse this will just add to the adventure...

On a related note, where is a good source for high quality crimp connectors, heat shrink tubing, etc?

Comment

You can get the connectors and heat shrink tubing almost anywhere -- any hardware or home store. You do want to make sure you get a good, known brand, and not a cheap kit full of no-name junk.

You either need to use a good ratcheting crimper or remove the plastic from the connectors and solder them to the wires. Harbor Freight has a pretty good ratcheting crimper for less than $10.

However, get the connectors elsewhere -- HF sells very questionable no-name connectors. The connectors I most commonly are marked "K S".

I have a more expensive Paladin crimper I got from an electronics supply store (not Radio Shack -- all they sell is phones nowadays) and the HF crimper, as far as I can tell, looks identical and makes identical crimps.

Do NOT attempt to crimp anything you care about with crappy sheet metal crimpers like these: http://www.harborfreight.com/8-inch-...ool-92410.html
                          If you have a pair of these, toss them in the trash. They have no safe use whatsoever.

There are some pliers-style crimpers that can make safe crimps, but until you develop the skill to use them with extreme consistency, most of your crimps will be defective. A ratchet crimper makes the exact same reliable crimp every time.

If you don't have $10 or time to get a good crimper and you have to solder, make sure you use the smallest possible amount of solder and good technique. The reason for this is that solder can easily wick its way up the wire before it solidifies. This makes the wire very brittle, and it can eventually break in a high-vibration environment like a motorcycle.
                          Last edited by bwringer; 03-20-2013, 09:11 AM.
                          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I have rarely seen a GS without visible heat damage on those connectors. In my experience, they are either freshly replaced, or heat damaged. I solder mine. Of course, a year ago I had to do a starter clutch on the GS1100G powered 1000G, and had to cut the soldered wires.

I would not blame heat damage on the white /red and white/green wire to the handlebar. That is only one of the three toasted connectors. It is my theory that using your stator to toast bad connections overworks it and kills the stator.
                            sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Hi Rob,

Originally posted by azr View Post
                              Cliff what do you mean by "bounce the connections", I haven't heard that term before.
                              Just disconnect and reconnect them a few times. The friction will scrub off any light oxidation that may be present and help ensure a good connection.

Take care,

Cliff

Comment

Working...
                              X