79 GS 750 won't start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79 GS 750 won't start

Hey guys I picked this bike up a few months ago. It's probably been sitting for at least a year. I charged the battery up and all lights come on but it won't start. I hit the start button and there a very audible tick noise from the starter solenoid and then nothing. Not multiple clicks, just the one. Any suggestions? The battery is fine and reads 14 volts on the multimeter. What should I check? I tried kick starting but like I said, it's been sitting so I'm not sure it will start that way.

Welcome
    Been sitting, you likely have some work to do IF you want it to run well.Do some reading at this link...

When solenoid clicks with starter button, does it also click when you release button? Does kick starter seem to be turning engine- i.e. you feel resistance?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Sounds like it could be a bad solenoid, bad starter, or a disconnected cable somewhere. I would visually check the wiring first, then clean all the battery, solenoid, and starter connections. If still no go, try bridging the terminals on top of the solenoid with an old screwdriver. If that turns the engine over, you have a bad solenoid.

BassCliff will be along soon to point you to sources for the factory service manuals and a variety of helpful tutorials. Keep us posted on your progress!
      Charles
      --
      1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

It could also be a dead battery

It reads 14V when charged, what does it read when you push the starter button?
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Btaylor41690,

You have a 30 year old machine that needs LOTS of maintenance. You'll find the "to do" lists in the "mega-welcome" link below. Skipping steps or taking shortcuts will lead to frustration at best, severe death and injury at worst. Perform all of the necessary tasks properly the first time to save yourself a lot of headaches. Let me greet you in my customary manner.

If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. You'll find all kinds of helpful tips, procedures, manuals, diagrams, "how-to" guides, etc, in the links below. Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Hey guys thanks for the help! I realized that the bike was missing the part of the positive battery cable that connects to the starter solenoid. So I fixed that and tried to start it up, wouldn't turn over. Emptied the gas tank and rinsed it out then refilled it. The gas was gross. Took the carbs off and cleaned the jets and bowls. Threw it all together and still wouldn't turn over. Tried the kick starter and she fired up after some coaxing. Ran with choke but wouldn't stay running very long. A couple minutes max. I think it will run better when I put the exhaust back on and play with the air mixture screws. The air intake also needs replacing. Other than that I'm not sure what else to do to help it along. Any advice?

Comment

Follow the links that BassCliff posted and seek out the carb cleaning guide. You have to disassemble them completely in order to clean them, especially since you now know that it's been sitting for a while with old gas. There are all manner of little jets and passages inside that clog easily and can only be cleaned out the hard way.

Remember not to run the bike for too long without sending air over the engine. (I don't know what exactly the threshold is, and it probably depends on ambient temperature and what you're doing to it.)

It will definitely run better with the exhaust on. By air intake, you mean the air box? Why does it need replacing? (Hint: pics would be awesome)

Check for air leaks in and around the airbox, and both sets of boots. The boots between the airbox and carbs should be nice and squishy. If they're at all hard, they're not sealing right and need to be replaced. The engine won't run well with air leaks.

After that, work your way down the list at BikeCliff's greeting. Don't skip the valve adjustment. One thing I'd highly recommend doing after the engine seems to be running better is rebuilding both sets of brakes with new pistons, seals, boots, and stainless steel brake lines.
              Last edited by eil; 03-22-2013, 12:13 AM.
              Charles
              --
              1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

When i said the air filter needs to be replaced, I mean that the actual filter foam stuff is highly deformed and needs replacement.

Also, it may be important to state that I'm not trying to completely restore this bike, I'm only bringing it back to life from the dead so that it will be sellable. It's a fun project but I don't have time for it so I need it to go. Whoever I sell it to, I'll refer them to this website.

Today I think I'll get the exhaust on and see how it runs and maybe tune those carbs a bit. I think just those two things will help a great deal.

Also, my choke cable it jammed at the moment but even when it wasn't jammed, the cable kept overextending and detaching from the choke lever on the carbs. Any suggestions to remedy this?

Comment

Originally posted by Btaylor41690 View Post

Also, it may be important to state that I'm not trying to completely restore this bike, I'm only bringing it back to life from the dead so that it will be sellable. It's a fun project but I don't have time for it so I need it to go. Whoever I sell it to, I'll refer them to this website.
                  Fair enough, but just past it on as is and let someone else have a proper go at it; this work ain't for everyone.
                  1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
                  X