78 GS750-Starter problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

78 GS750-Starter problem

I retired the bike and got it to run for a few seconds using the kick start. Battery used was good, starter was weak. What starters off of other bikes can I replace it with? Hopefully a newer model bike. Should I just buy a rebuild kit? Thank you.

Hi,

If the starter is really your problem it's easy enough to clean it up and install new brushes to make it as good as new.

If you insist on replacement, use the cross-reference procedure found on my little website to see what other bikes use the same starter.

Did you have your battery load-tested? Even so, I've had batteries test good on the little hand-held load testers but were bad. If you're using a multimeter to check the voltage it is possible to have a bad cell on the battery but it still show 12v+.

How is the rest of your electrical system? Have you cleaned every connection and ground, fuse box, etc, on the entire bike? What is the voltage to the coils? What are the stator and r/r outputs? Have you gone through the Stator Papers? Have you properly cleaned the carbs? Have you adjusted the valves? Old bikes need maintenance. CLICK HERE and go through the maintenance lists. Or you can skip all the maintenance and wonder why your bike doesn't run.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
    X