New Kid: so what makes my bike go VARRUMM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Kid: so what makes my bike go VARRUMM

Ok, so Im 18 and resently fellin love with a 79` gs850g. And am having a blast learning all about it. So my big question is: What makes my spark plug spark?, or can somebody go down the line from the moment you turn the key to crank what sends power from pt. A to pt.B .. Basically Im hearing all these terms like rectifer, regulator,.. and im scracthing my head. Thanks to anyone that responds. Just cant seem to grasp what goes on!

That is such an open ended question, I don't think it can be answered easily. The regulator /rectifier is kind of like a cars alternator, it sends a constant charge to the battery so your battery doesn't get overcharged. Excess charge is grounded.

Your spark plug has an electrode that builds power and when the power is great enough it arcs across the spark plug gap...

Comment

I'm not a guru, but I'll do my best to give an overly vague explanation and completely gloss over the important details. I sort of assume that you understand the basics of electricity already. (If not, no explanation of motorcycle electrical systems is going to make sense to you.) In particular you already need to know how electricity flows, the difference between voltage and current, etc.

There are four main electrical systems on your bike: the starting system, the charging system, the ignition system, and what I'll call the accessories. The starting system engages the starter motor, the charging system charges the battery, the ignition system makes the spark plugs spark, and the accessories are things like lights that may be required for the bike to be road-legal, but are not essential to the running of the engine. (I'll ignore the accessories here.)

First, the starting system. Pretty simple. When the ignition key is turned on, the "start" button on the handlebars completes a circuit that closes a big relay called the solenoid. When the solenoid closes (with a loud click), it completes another circuit between the battery and the starter. Which runs the starter and turns the engine over, starting it. (Hopefully.)

Next, the charging system. The charging system, as you might guess, is responsible for keeping the bike's battery charged. On almost every bike ever made, it has two main parts: the alternator, and the regulator/rectifier (commonly called the R/R). The alternator generates electricity from the rotation of the engine. But it generates alternating current (AC). The battery needs direct current (DC). So the R/R sits between the alternator and the battery and simply rectifies (converts) the AC to DC. It also regulates the amount of current going to the battery, so that the battery doesn't get more voltage than it can handle, no matter the RPM of the engine.

The "alternator" is made up of two parts: the rotor and the stator. The rotor is really just a bunch of magnets glued to the flywheel. The stator is a series of wire coils that generate current when the rotor passes by.

Make sense?

I'll try to dig up some references for the ignition system, since I'm not sure I can explain that one on my own...
      Last edited by eil; 03-24-2013, 11:15 PM. Reason: need a starter!
      Charles
      --
      1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

So I'm kinda floundering for a good newbie-friendly explanation of the ignition system. Maybe someone else more qualified than me can pick up that torch. The best I can do is point you to a couple of resources and tell you to google (or ask) whatever questions you might have afterward.

There are two types ignition systems on the GS bikes: points-based and electronic. I believe (but am not certain) that you have a points-based system since you have a '79.

Wikipedia has the best explanation of a points-based system I can find on short notice: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igniti...timed_ignition The only thing to keep in mind is that your bike will not have a distributor. Instead, there are two sets of breaker points spaced 180 degrees apart. If you can read schematics, open up the PDF of your GS850 Suzuki repair manual. (The one that you downloaded from BassCliff's site immediately after receiving your Mega Welcome.) Flip to page 240 of the PDF (Section 12) for loads of good info.

Some bikes will instead have electronic ignition system. The principle difference is that these don't use points. Instead, they have a little magnet and sensor coils spaced 180 degrees apart. These are connected to an ignitor box which is responsible for triggering the spark via the coils.

If you want some light reading on motorcycle maintenance, I highly recommend Dan's Motorcycle Course: http://www.dansmc.com/mc_repaircourse.htm The guy is a little wacky (injects religious/creationist stuff randomly) but he has a lot of experience and wisdom to share. I also very highly recommend mrmaxstorey's videos on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/mrmaxstorey/videos?view=0

Of course, the best way to learn this stuff is by buying a project bike (or two... or three...) and fixing her up! That's what I'm doing. You learn stuff a lot quicker and a lot more permanently when you have to learn it in order to troubleshoot and repair the bike.

And finally, never be afraid to ask questions. Especially here where you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a GS mechanic of 30+ years.
        Charles
        --
        1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Thanks Eil for all the time you put into anwering my question, DEFINTELY simiplief the things that made me Man, this forums the SHIZNIZ

Comment

Replies

Originally posted by eil View Post
            I'm not a guru, but I'll do my best to give an overly vague explanation and completely gloss over the important details. I sort of assume that you understand the basics of electricity already. (If not, no explanation of motorcycle electrical systems is going to make sense to you.) In particular you already need to know how electricity flows, the difference between voltage and current, etc.

There are four main electrical systems on your bike: the starting system, the charging system, the ignition system, and what I'll call the accessories. The starting system engages the starter motor, the charging system charges the battery, the ignition system makes the spark plugs spark, and the accessories are things like lights that may be required for the bike to be road-legal, but are not essential to the running of the engine. (I'll ignore the accessories here.)

First, the starting system. Pretty simple. When the ignition key is turned on, the "start" button on the handlebars completes a circuit that closes a big relay called the solenoid. When the solenoid closes (with a loud click), it completes another circuit between the battery and the starter. Which runs the starter and turns the engine over, starting it. (Hopefully.)

Next, the charging system. The charging system, as you might guess, is responsible for keeping the bike's battery charged. On almost every bike ever made, it has two main parts: the alternator, and the regulator/rectifier (commonly called the R/R). The alternator generates electricity from the rotation of the engine. But it generates alternating current (AC). The battery needs direct current (DC). So the R/R sits between the alternator and the battery and simply rectifies (converts) the AC to DC. It also regulates the amount of current going to the battery, so that the battery doesn't get more voltage than it can handle, no matter the RPM of the engine.

The "alternator" is made up of two parts: the rotor and the stator. The rotor is really just a bunch of magnets glued to the flywheel. The stator is a series of wire coils that generate current when the rotor passes by.

Make sense?

I'll try to dig up some references for the ignition system, since I'm not sure I can explain that one on my own...
            I like the flow of this explanation.

Originally posted by eil View Post
            So I'm kinda floundering for a good newbie-friendly explanation of the ignition system. Maybe someone else more qualified than me can pick up that torch. The best I can do is point you to a couple of resources and tell you to google (or ask) whatever questions you might have afterward.

There are two types ignition systems on the GS bikes: points-based and electronic. I believe (but am not certain) that you have a points-based system since you have a '79.

Wikipedia has the best explanation of a points-based system I can find on short notice: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igniti...timed_ignition The only thing to keep in mind is that your bike will not have a distributor. Instead, there are two sets of breaker points spaced 180 degrees apart. If you can read schematics, open up the PDF of your GS850 Suzuki repair manual. (The one that you downloaded from BassCliff's site immediately after receiving your Mega Welcome.) Flip to page 240 of the PDF (Section 12) for loads of good info.

Some bikes will instead have electronic ignition system. The principle difference is that these don't use points. Instead, they have a little magnet and sensor coils spaced 180 degrees apart. These are connected to an ignitor box which is responsible for triggering the spark via the coils.

If you want some light reading on motorcycle maintenance, I highly recommend Dan's Motorcycle Course: http://www.dansmc.com/mc_repaircourse.htm The guy is a little wacky (injects religious/creationist stuff randomly) but he has a lot of experience and wisdom to share. I also very highly recommend mrmaxstorey's videos on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/mrmaxstorey/videos?view=0

Of course, the best way to learn this stuff is by buying a project bike (or two... or three...) and fixing her up! That's what I'm doing. You learn stuff a lot quicker and a lot more permanently when you have to learn it in order to troubleshoot and repair the bike.

And finally, never be afraid to ask questions. Especially here where you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a GS mechanic of 30+ years.
            Thanks for the references...I will be using them because I just recvently picked up a second bike!

Originally posted by zuki4life View Post
            Thanks Eil for all the time you put into anwering my question, DEFINTELY simiplief the things that made me Man, this forums the SHIZNIZ
            This site is GREAT! Just this past weekend I completed my first oil change. Thanks to BassCliff, my bike purrs now with 15W40 oil.

Ed
            GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
            GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)

Comment

Hi,

Try THIS. <<Clicky

And THIS. <<Clicky

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

That was easy!

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                Hi,

Try THIS. <<Clicky

And THIS. <<Clicky

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
                Kinda like the advert for Office Depot "Red Button".

Thanks BassCliff!
                GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)

Comment

Thanks to all the replies!!! I think I would be last person on the planet to created electricity, but Im not quitting IM GOING TO MASTER my 79 850! and hopefully make a 3000 mi trip someheres out west! I live in southeast IA. No idea where maybe just ride into the sunsetMAn I like these little moving face thinges!

Comment

Originally posted by zuki4life View Post
                    Thanks to all the replies!!! I think I would be last person on the planet to created electricity, but Im not quitting IM GOING TO MASTER my 79 850! and hopefully make a 3000 mi trip someheres out west! I live in southeast IA. No idea where maybe just ride into the sunsetMAn I like these little moving face thinges!
                    Out west eh...Sturgis, SD, in August...
                    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

WELL< I was thinking about riding some off the trails in the direction of Lewis and Clark!

Comment

I know this aint the place for asking,but are there any places out west that you enjoyed riding?

Comment

Thanks again EIL, after reading what u posted I have learned a ton!

Comment

Working...
                          X