Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LED tailight/turn signal combo plus front turn lights install. Resistor wiring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@basket case. I'll let you know what I think of them as soon as I get um on. It may be a bit, I'm gonna be fabricating some things to mount the taillight o so it may be a bit. The tailight ad is not the exact one that I have. I'll try and find it for your reference.

Comment

Originally posted by barnbiketom View Post
      just replace the stock flasher with an electronic one.. the turn signal switch routs the current to left or right turns.
      So on the wiring diagram, relay and flasher would be the same thing? Why is it that the stock one wouldn't work exactly, it response to the heat of the wire or something like that?

Comment

Alright, so I've got all my lights working, just no flash. So the consensus is that I can replace the stock, Nippondenso relay that I see with an electronic flasher from Knecht's? Is this all correct?

If so...what is the difference? Just that it's electronic? How does the factory relay work then? Is 2 prong going to be okay?

20 questions huh?

Thanks for any input

Nate

Comment

nate, off the top of my head, (and it's been awhile since I've needed to know)..per the "electronic flashers, I recall (not having one in front of me) they used a large capacitor(to alternate on/off) across relay electro-magnets and these electromagnets are wound with small wire. When the relay closed, the capacitor would also be "dumped" and the recharge of them would be the interval...(something like that anyways.)but for sure the power needed to run them is much reduced. because the actual power through the lights gose through the reed contacts and not the turnsignal switch.It's more elaborate,if they are actually "transistorized" ...
          The two prong units just use current of the turn- signal bulbs to heat a bimetal strip that bends when hot to go off, then, being off, it cools to go back on click-click, click-click!-you can see that the bimetal two-pronger is going to need loads of current to work...LEDS won't likely use enough current to heat it.

Per LED brightness, you need look up MCD which are "micro candlepower"...thousands, right? drop the zeros so it looks like Candle-power....and you should have a comparison with your incandescents...of course, you will have Several leds instead of one bulb...look also at the directionality of these which is part of their specs. LEDS are very focussed and directional so reflectors do less, and the fresnel is important.

Hopefully, I'm not leading you to far astray with my brain shavings some of which was mentioned before
          Last edited by Gorminrider; 05-02-2013, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NateTheNewb View Post
            Alright, so I've got all my lights working, just no flash. So the consensus is that I can replace the stock, Nippondenso relay that I see with an electronic flasher from Knecht's? Is this all correct?

If so...what is the difference? Just that it's electronic? How does the factory relay work then? Is 2 prong going to be okay?

20 questions huh?

Thanks for any input

Nate
            have a look here...

and here

Comment

Working...
            X