Wiring harness for '81 GS850L ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wiring harness for '81 GS850L ....

If I get one, what OTHER yrs are compatible with my bike's?

IE: If I find an '82 that's less than HALF the price someone is asking for their 81 harness, is it basically the same? (color code and all?)

I ask because the PO had what looks to be a carb fire under the tank, and the harness is completely charred and cracking. Needs replaced pretty badly, so I'm really working on borrowed time here. lol Thx
    Last edited by Guest; 04-01-2013, 05:42 AM.

Bump. Thx.

Comment

All the colors are the same on the '82, but the wiring itself is not.
      The '82 harness also has provisions for a kickstand warning light that is not there for earlier years.

I have found that some of the connectors that are under the tank on my '80 and my son's '81 850G are in the headlight bucket on my wife's '82 850GL.
      Might be because it's an "L", might be because it's an '82, I can't say for sure.

If you don't mind cutting wires several inches beyond the connectors and splicing them into your current, damaged harness, go ahead and get the '82 harness.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

K. I saw some ads that said 79-84 or 79-86, etc. Figured i would ask first before committing. Thx!

Comment

Harnesses for a '79 will be different, too. They had points, later ones had electronic ignition. They also had a different turn signal flasher, which required different wiring. I can't say for sure, but they might have had separate rectifier and regulator, later ones were combined.

Other than the addition of the side stand light for '82 and the change of a few connectors (type and location) for R/R and ignitor in '83, most of the non-'79 harnesses might work for you, but try to get one from '80 or '81, and an L, if possible, since that is what you have.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
          X