What do you think of this battery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you think of this battery?

I'm looking to get a new battery for my 81 650G. Something smaller that I can mount horizontally. I found this one with 140cca, and I'm just wondering what you all think about it. Will it be strong enough? The size seems about right where I want it. I searched around and couldn't find anything specific besides a more expensive Shorai or lithium. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Last edited by Guest; 03-31-2013, 08:00 PM.

I'm just going to say you get what you pay for when it comes to batteries. A sealed battery that can be mounted in different positions yes, alot of sport bikes came stock with them . But I would not expect much out of a $30. battery.
    1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
    80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
    1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
    83 gs750ed- first new purchase
    85 EX500- vintage track weapon
    1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
    “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
    If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by hjfisk View Post
      I'm just going to say you get what you pay for when it comes to batteries. A sealed battery that can be mounted in different positions yes, alot of sport bikes came stock with them . But I would not expect much out of a $30. battery.

Yeah I hear ya. It's been difficult to find a happy medium between a POS one and a high dollar one with what I'm looking for. Any suggestions? I have a GT14B-4 sitting around that's got the size I'm looking for but it wont hold a charge.

Comment

Originally posted by overboostin View Post
        I have a GT14B-4 sitting around that's got the size I'm looking for but it wont hold a charge.
        Why not get a new GT14B-4?

Or is that a little too obvious?

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Why not get a new GT14B-4?

Or is that a little too obvious?

I think that's a 12ah, would that be fine over the 14 I believe I need? Also it's only 135cca
          Last edited by Guest; 03-31-2013, 10:13 PM.

Comment

To me, if you have a battery that already fits, but is bad, it's pretty much a no-brainer to get another battery like it.

CCA is only one measurement of a battery's performance. If your bike is kept in tune, you can get by with fewer CCAs, but for that one time that it decides not to start, you will be wishing you had the larger battery.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
            X