Cleaning the Starter Motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning the Starter Motor

82gs1100GL, mitsuba starter, here. Removed starter, and you don't need to do remove carbs or cam tensioner or anything to do it, if anyone's wondering.

There was a bunch of dirt, black powder, soot, and tiny pieces of who knows that that came out upon opening the starter up.

Furthermore, I found an entire body of a cockroach that had crawled underneath the starter motor and died in there, fully grown.....how? Anyway, in the motor itself, most of the debris fell out but there is still a lot of black "gunk" all over the various internal facets.

The next thing was the brushes, they were all cracked and fell apart in my hands from pushing them in. Keep in mind, the starter did turn (outside the engine) but could not turn inside the engine, even when solenoid was jumped. I am amazed that the starter could turn at all. So anyway I ordered a replacement set of brushes and brush panel, and o rings as well. Mainly I just want to get some advice on cleaning the motor and how to assemble it in a way that will make it last for a long time. I want to do it right.

Do I use grease, or no grease? If so, what kind, and where do I use it? I have read in different places to use grease, and some others say no grease.
    What are your favorite ways to clean the soot off of the body and inside?
    How about polishing the commutator and electrical surfaces?

These are what I have/plan to acquire use:
    Emery cloth, 340-400 grit for commutator
    Electric Contact cleaner, for everything
    Brass Brush, for electrical surfaces
    Plastic/Steel Brush, for body surfaces as needed

What else do I need?

PS attached you will see a picture of the brush plate removed. Notice the lack of brushes.....they fell apart =/ Except that one at the bottom, and you can see the remnants of the right one. So if anyone has ordered the full plate kit from starter stocker (its like $30), it comes with brushes installed. Will I remove the wires that went to the old brushes, and put new ones in, or do the new kits come with short wires that I will solder to the old ones?
    Last edited by Guest; 04-01-2013, 05:30 PM. Reason: PS

Hi,

Sounds like you've got it covered. Have a look at this for reference:

The above is not your starter but the fellow does a good job explaining what's what.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by ekabil View Post
      ...What else do I need?....
      I had the starter motor rotor in a drill motor, and had emery cloth on paint stir stick.

Before

After

Then when reassembling, is good to have brushes in place, but have something hold back the springs.

I did not find a need to "clean up everything".

And would be concernd about the cleaner fluid getting in bearings.

Last edited by Redman; 04-01-2013, 08:58 PM.
      http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
      Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Use some brake cleaner if needed A lathe is the best way to re do the armature, or a drill press. Or hand drill if nothing else is available.. After you re surface the commutator make sure to clean the grooves

Comment

You can buy good quality brushes in loose pack or mounted on a plate from www.Stockers.com.
          Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Working...
          X