GS550T Igniter wires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550T Igniter wires

I'm not getting the 12 volts to my coil for #2-3 cylinders. The orange white has the 12 volts but the white wire the return seems open. It goes to the igniter but I have not found info of what it does . May be a bad solder joint but if not , what would would be the problem? Is there a schematic for my igniter ? Doug

Originally posted by Dougbo View Post
    I'm not getting the 12 volts to my coil for #2-3 cylinders. The orange white has the 12 volts but the white wire the return seems open. It goes to the igniter but I have not found info of what it does . May be a bad solder joint but if not , what would would be the problem? Is there a schematic for my igniter ? Doug
    Hi Dougbo,

Make sure all your wiring in good order and intact first then check as below;
    1. Check the contact point timing
    2. Check your condenser at the contact point/breaker for cylinder #2-3
    3. Check your coil for #2-3 by swap it.

Comment

It's a 1981, no points. as I said, I have no 12 volts to the coil. The orange wire has the voltage but only can see it if I put the black lead of the meter on the non orange wire of the other coil. these wires go to the igniter.

Comment

It's the ignitor's job to ground out the "other" wire to ignition coil at proper time , so you won't get a reading that you expect.The signal coils on crankshaft trigger the ignitor to fire.Go to Basscliff's for a typical wiring diagram- a 650 would be similar.

I take it some of your plugs aren't firing???

Have you tried Mr. Matchless testing?
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

That's correct, 2 & 3 are not firing. No voltmeter reading on this coil. On 1 & 4 I can read the 12 volts.

Comment

You did notice the post right above yours in this forum about the gs550t ignitors???? If you have doublechecked all the connections from the signal generator coils to ignitor and then to ignition coils, you likely have a dead ignitor. Buying one off ebay might have same problem.
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
            X