Hard starting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hard starting?

Usually the cure is a combination of a) carb cleaning and rebuild b) valve adjustment and c) coil relay mod d)fresh plugs. Now what to do if you've done all that and its still a bit shy to fire up?

I'll give a hint. Its got to do with compression and its not b) done incorrectly. Give up?

Make sure the plugs are snugged down and not just finger tight!

In my last act of boneheadedness with the GS550,on delivery last Thursday we had a biotch of a time getting it running. It had been difficult when I first fired her up after the winter hiatus. Since the weather was still fairly cold, I put it down to that. As we were attempting to get her going for a test ride Rob, the new owner noticed the #4 plug was just finger tight as he was pulling it out to look at the condition. Mr. Gatekeeper ,who was with me, checked #1 and reported the same. Doh, when did I do that Obviously compression was severly compromised.

After successfully getting it to start, the swap was done and we loaded up my new FZ and headed for home, with yours truly feeling like a dolt.

The new owner e-mailed me the following day to tell me, after tightening everything down and despite 5or 6 degrees below 0 celsius she fired right up.

As the saying goes, "all's well that ends well" but just remember even little things can cause problems that can have you chasing your tails.

Cheers all,
    Spyug
Working...
X