82 450L stator cover gasket/small dowel pin question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 450L stator cover gasket/small dowel pin question

I have just received my stator gasket today. I went straight to the garage and was hoping to start putting this back together. I noticed the small dowel pin when I took it apart, it fell on the floor as soon as I got the bolts out. I see one small hole on the bottom of the gasket itself where it can fit in. I does not look or fit right and am wondering what it does and if I need it in there at all. Everything else is ready for reassembly just the one small dowel!! Thanks for the help!!

if it is a dowel you will need it. the cover has to fit perfectly so the stator and rotor wont chew each other up. post up some pics of what you have.
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Not sure if the pic is gonna work but I will try

Comment

If you take gasket off, can you tell which hole the the dowel fits in? On my cover, it's at very bottom. Maybe this gasket maker expects you to enlarge gasket hole for dowel.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

that looks ok to me, you have the dowel pin top left on picture and the starter drive pinion shaft acts as a second location point to keep it all lined up.
          good to go i reckon........
          1978 GS1085.

Comment

The dowel itself.

Comment

It's a genuine Suzuki gasket. So I really don't think it would need to be altered to fit. I am about to bolt it together now

Comment

the dowel is in the right location according to the fiche picture
                1978 GS1085.

Comment

Originally posted by FEFD17 View Post
                  The dowel itself.
                  that is not a dowel it is a spacer of some kind. it is not from the starter gear assembly and i cannot see where else it can be from.

i would not put it back together until someone can positively identify it, especially if it fell from the cover as you removed it
                  1978 GS1085.

Comment

Bike is ****in me off. I gotta walk away for a minute before I put a flare in the gas tank.

Comment

If you look at this parts layout, you'll see that there is another dowel #3 ( one of two) that is near the stator cover locating dowel #18- it appears that this one locates an inner gasket and is likely "buried" by the stator cover gasket.

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

#3 is for the clutch cover, #18 is for the stator cover, which he has fitted, you can clearly see it in his first pic.

#18 is the dowel ringed in his picture.........

Last edited by Agemax; 04-11-2013, 07:25 AM. Reason: pic added
                        1978 GS1085.

Comment

This is during my stator replacement a while back.

You can see the one dowel in the stator cover in the bottom left of the pic.

Best pic I have of the left case with stator cover off and gasket in place:

The two items that locate the cover accurately are the dowel and the starter motor idler gear shaft.
                          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
                            This is during my stator replacement a while back.

You can see the one dowel in the stator cover in the bottom left of the pic.

Best pic I have of the left case with stator cover off and gasket in place:

The two items that locate the cover accurately are the dowel and the starter motor idler gear shaft.
                            that is what i have been saying all along Pete, but do you recognize that little spacer in post#6? i cant see where it comes from but the OP reckons it fell out the cover as he took it off......
                            1978 GS1085.

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                              that is what i have been saying all along Pete, but do you recognize that little spacer in post#6? i cant see where it comes from but the OP reckons it fell out the cover as he took it off......
                              Yep, I agree with what you're saying

I missed the point of post #6... no I have no idea where that came from and it looks completely unfamiliar. The dowels have more rounded edges than that and I can definitely see the dowel is correctly in place.

It's also not long enough to be the idler gear shaft either.

FEFD17: Are you 100% certain that it came out of the stator cover?
                              1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                              1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Working...
                              X