Should I be worried about this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I be worried about this?

The first season i had my 85 GS700ES I had some trouble with the electrical systems on the bike. It dies twice and then had a major blow out. Something went wrong and there was a big surge of power that blew a turn signal so hard that it melted the lense.

Any way I took it in and they replaced the rectifier and everything was good for a while. Fall hit and I started breaking the bike down and addressing a few other issues. When spring hit the Bike was running and almost ready to go, I was just waiting for new turn signals. They came, I put them on and ran it for one day. The following day it would not start.

Turns out that the ignitor unit was fried. This i confirmed my self by pulling it apart and seeing that there was a little resistor on the board that was all burned up. That has been replaced now aswell and the bike is running well again. I am wondering if I should expect more problems with the electrical system or if I should be safe since the rectifier and ignitor have been replaced. Please advise.

This sounds strange

I can't imagine a turn signal short that would melt a lens. Also it sounds like you replaced burnt up parts and did nothing to fix the problem. So I would say yes you will have more problems in the future. Igniter box and turn signal, problems. I would say are not related.
    [SIGPIC1980 GS1000E
    Yamaharley Roadstar Silverado.2008sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Danaconda7 View Post
      The first season i had my 85 GS700ES I had some trouble with the electrical systems on the bike. It dies twice and then had a major blow out. Something went wrong and there was a big surge of power that blew a turn signal so hard that it melted the lense.

Any way I took it in and they replaced the rectifier and everything was good for a while. Fall hit and I started breaking the bike down and addressing a few other issues. When spring hit the Bike was running and almost ready to go, I was just waiting for new turn signals. They came, I put them on and ran it for one day. The following day it would not start.

Turns out that the ignitor unit was fried. This i confirmed my self by pulling it apart and seeing that there was a little resistor on the board that was all burned up. That has been replaced now aswell and the bike is running well again. I am wondering if I should expect more problems with the electrical system or if I should be safe since the rectifier and ignitor have been replaced. Please advise.
      Like Mike says, what do you think you did to change the underlying problem?

The R/R would be the most likely culprit for creating high voltage transients or surges. So first big question is "Did you change the R/R before or after these things started happening?"

The ignitor is probably not going to create much of a problem, although it is possible for it to short out (i.e .start blowing fuses or worse wires) it is much more likely for it to burn out (let the smoke out and go kaput).

If you are still worried about unknown transients, I would see if you can get an oscope to look at the voltage and see if there are any transients.

I just did a quick looks so no assurances, but on first blush this looks like something to consider if you don't have access to an Oscope. Or research so more there may be better alternatives

Comment

Well the lense most certinly had a hole burned right through it, from the inside out. I found it hard to believe as well. I was not sugesting that the turn signal fried the ignitor, just getting all the electrical problems I face out there. The ignitor went after the R/R was replaced. I am not much of an electrician so i dont realy know where to start.

Comment

i thought the problem was corected when the R/R was replaced, but then the ignitor went. So I do not know what to think, or where to start looking. I guess i should look at what ever comes before the R/R in the electrical system.

Comment

Are you using the correct fuses? What R/R did they put in it, the factory units are pretty much junk.
            Last edited by OldVet66; 04-15-2013, 02:57 PM.
            '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

I have not messed with the fuses but I will look and reference against what is recomended. I will also confirm what R/R was put in.

Comment

Hi,

Have you taken the time to clean every electrical connection and ground on the entire motorcycle? Rust and corrosion cause extra resistance and heat which lead to failures. Replace all of the bullet connectors in the charging system with spade connectors. Use solder connections or good crimp connections and shrink tubing. Dielectric grease will help keep moisture out of the connectors.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Errrrrr.... Ok you are right. I was hopeing not to have to address this task but it seems I have no choice. Thank you BassCliff for reminding me of the 20 years of neglect my bike was suffered.

Comment

Originally posted by OldVet66 View Post
                    Are you using the correct fuses? What R/R did they put in it, the factory units are pretty much junk.
                    Yeah, along with lots of aftermarket ones.
                    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
                    X