I Want a Kickstart!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Want a Kickstart!

Hey Guys, Im a newb. And this newb is taking everything apart on his motorcycle. im redoing gaskets, chain, electrical, etc etc etc...

I have a 1982 suzuki gs 450l and i really really really want to delete the battery and get a kickstart. I have used the search option but have not found it.

Please help me!!!

even if you just have a kickstart, you will still need a battery. i dont know if you can convert these models or whether you will need a different engine.
    some one will be along soon to put you straight.......
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

There is a small possibility that you'll be able to retrofit a kickstarter. On the GS-550 the first gen bikes had kickstarts and in the 1980-1982 years Suzuki kept the same block castings. I was able to bolt in a kickstart from a 78 into my 81 because of this.

I don't know much about the 400/425 bikes from the late 70's or the 80's 450. It's possible they share the same block... I dunno. Take a look behind the clutch cover where the clutch basket is and see if there is a hole for the kickstart.

Comment

I found you one.

sigpic
        Steve
        "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

so what all would i need? just the kickstart pedal? there is a cap on the clutch cover that hides all of my starter stuff with a small pole like object. would i need to extend that and add the kickstart lever?

Comment

This has been discussed numerous times before... if you have a 450 and want a kickstart, then you will need to source an entire 400 or 425 bottom end... it is not worth the effort and you're better off doing an engine swap or bike swap.
            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
              This has been discussed numerous times before... if you have a 450 and want a kickstart, then you will need to source an entire 400 or 425 bottom end... it is not worth the effort and you're better off doing an engine swap or bike swap.
              Pete... you make me want to cry

but thank you for your input, i guess ill just buy another bike next year with the kick start

Comment

I am amused by this.

Back when all there was was a kick start, riders were praying for electric start.

IJ, you were just born about 50 years too late.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

weld a kickstart to the side of the bike, then when you hit the starter button, pretend to kick it over at the same time.....
                  1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                    weld a kickstart to the side of the bike, then when you hit the starter button, pretend to kick it over at the same time.....
                    meh, i think ill pass on this idea.

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    I am amused by this.

Back when all there was was a kick start, riders were praying for electric start.

WHY AM I AN OLD MAN TRAPPED IN A 23 YEAR OLD BODY!

Comment

1977 gs 750.
                      it has a kickstart, not as heavy as the big liter bikes, still enough displacement to clench the cheeks

nevermind its a tank of a motor.

Comment

I have to say I love having both on my 1978. Having the kickstart has saved my butt a few times.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                          I am amused by this.

I took the electric starter off of my MK III Commando to make it lighter, back in the late 70's. I lost the parts over the years.

The demise of the kick start on a GS coincided with the introduction ofthe electronic ignition. I don't think that this is a coincidence. Most electronic ignitions require decent voltage to produce a timely signal to fire the coils.

I would suggest that if having a kick start is a critical concern, buying a bike that has one is a viable option.

How well does your bike work now? If it isn't working well, perhaps that could be addressed prior to undertaking modifications.
                          sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

The '78 GS1000 I do believe was the first bike Suzuki didn't install the kick starter on. All this in a effort to make the bike "lighter." When I got my Skunk I thought it was odd not seeing a kick start after every other bike I owned, had one. I didn't know what to think really except I better keep a good charge in that battery and hope to hell I didn't have any starter problems.
                            And then there was the day the battery bit the bullet. Dead as a door nail, and now it was time to "try" to push start this beast. It was lunch time and summer in South Florida and at least 95 degrees out with tons of humidity and heat boiling up from the ashphalt. 1st attempt had me going about 10 mph and jumping on the bike only to let out the clutch and have the rear tire skid. OK, I thought, I'll try it in 2nd gear,
                            (I was only good for another couple of tries max and no hills to roll down on), bingo! fired right up. Now I know I can push start the 1000 should I have too.
                            sigpic
                            Steve
                            "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Working...
                            X