Reg/Rec wiring HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reg/Rec wiring HELP

I'm working on wiring up the GL and I come to the regulator/rectifier. It is an aftermarket make, not OEM. It has 4 wires coming out of it: a red with white tracer and 3 yellow, all with male flat blade clips. Now the wiring harness has had the connector removed and has 4 wires with the female clip receivers, they are the stock colors of yellow, red, white with blue tracer and white with red tracer. How in the world do I hook this aftermarket reg/rec up?

The red/white wire is your main output, it goes to the red wire on the bike.

The other three go to your stator wires, it does not matter what color.

Make sure, though that you are going directly to the stator, and not the "mystery loop" that goes up, under the tank.

Since there is no apparent ground wire, make SURE that the new R/R is well-grounded.
    It would be best to run a ground wire from one of the mounting bolts directly to the battery negative terminal.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks so much Steve, you've been a big help to me. Actually it does have a ground wire, but I didn't mention it becaus I knew it was a ground wire because it is green and has the circular washer like clip on the end.

Comment

Suggestion still applies, though. put that ringed terminal on one of the mounting bolts, run another wire from that same bolt to the battery.

Or, cut that wire, extend it appropriately with another section of wire and re-use that terminal. If you extend the wire, use solder and heat-shrink.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Will do Steve, thanks again for your help and suggestions. My biggest rebuilding shortcoming is in the electrical department.

Comment

Working...
          X