Connecting wires to the coils AAR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Connecting wires to the coils AAR

Just a quick follow-up question. When I upgraded my coils to Dynas, I clipped the wires to the old stock coils (the O/W and B and W wires, not the plug leads) very close (which was dumb).

My original coils weren't failing, so I kept them around. Recently, another member had a coil fail, so we pulled my old ones to swap in. When I tried to solder the new wiring, the heat melted the original solder connections. So, I had to wrestle with connecting the wires straight into the coils.

On these there was little to no mechanical strength to assist with connection. In other words, no screw to wind around or hole into the coil to help keep the wire in place as you soldered in. Instead, there seems to only be a small metal "U" for the wire, that you soldered to secure.

After much cursing, we got the soldering done, and I laid a healthy dollop of epoxy to help keep them in place. They seem to hold well, and his bike runs much better with the new-to-him coils. I just wonder if there was another, better way to make that connection (other than don't trim those wires so short in the first place).
Working...
X