Question about Ignition Coil Relay Mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about Ignition Coil Relay Mod

Started the ignition coil relay mod on my 82 GS650 last fall, for many reasons didn't finish it. Now that spring is near got the bike out of storage and ready to finish the job.

Circled in the pic is the orange/white wire in the harness. I've spliced a connection to the relay but believe there are 2 wires o/w that I need to add on to go the ignition coils. Correct?

see if this helps you out...

around post 176

Comment

Yes, you need to power both coils.

You can do that with a wire to each one from the relay, or you can take one wire to one coil, then split it there and go to the second coil.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I"m stumped on the #86 connection. I'm using the diagram below. I have run an o/w wire from post #87 to the o/w wire in the harness (circled are in pic above). Then two o/w wires to each ign coil from the circled area

Question is where do I find the o/w wire for #86 (kill switch).

Comment

Somewhere in your harness is an orange/white wire that comes from the "kill" switch to the coils and ignitor. That is the wire that needs to be interrupted. That might even be the wire circled in your picture, but I can't tell if that cut wire is connected to the switch or the coils. If it is connected to the switch, you need to connect it to #86, as shown on the diagram. The rest of the orange/white wire (the part that continues to the coils and ignitor) should be connected to #87, as shown in the diagram. If you are the one that cut the wire, you should be able to find the other side of the cut.

I guess you will have to use a test light or a meter to tell if your circled wire is live when the key is turned on.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

You are basically splitting the O/W wire coming out of the kill switch. This goes to the coils and igniter. With the key on you should be able to hear the relay click with the kill switch being turned on and off.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
            X