850 not charging properly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

850 not charging properly

tried searching for a previous thread on this but found nothing exactly like this problem so please bear with me,battery was not charging , tested stator while running, at 5000rpm had 65 vlt on one leg 12 volts on another and 35 volts on last leg,while bike off ,the ohms read open circuit on all three wires, was told stator was bad replaced with new ricks stator , now ohms read infinite and voltage numbers are almost identical to original readings, i used 2 different testers and extra set of eyes to double check my numbers, if anyone could help i would greatly appreciate it

Did you have the stator disconnected from the R/R while testing?

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      Did you have the stator disconnected from the R/R while testing?

This is precisely why I created the "Quick Test". There seems to be a bad case of operator error here.

Comment

What method or instructions are you going through when performing the tests.

The ohm tests are done with the bike off and the stator disconnected with the meter leads attached to a pair of the stator wires (A-B, B-C, A-C)

No-Load output voltage check is done in the same manner with the meter on AC volts and the engine running at 5k rpm. Needless to say be very careful around AC voltage.

Comment

did the ohm test with bike off and reg disconnected and no load test with engine running menter on ac and reg still disconnected and running at 5000 rpm

Comment

If you post the results of a quick test Might be able to steer you in the right direction as far as diagnosing the charging system

Comment

will do tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by roofrider View Post
                did the ohm test with bike off and reg disconnected and no load test with engine running menter on ac and reg still disconnected and running at 5000 rpm
                That means the stator is toast.. That also doesn't mean that you don't have a bad regulator also. If it has the original regulator I would get a Honda replacement off ebay for $25 just for insurance

Comment

Working...
                X