battery + rr connection questions gs750 82

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

battery + rr connection questions gs750 82

All right i just want to make sure my battery connections are good. First my battery is weak. Ill replace it this week. I first want to make sure that my wiring is normal. I have two wires going to the negative on the battery. When the positive is plugged, if i connect only the lower one on the pic (bigger gauge wire) i get good power, everything lights up good. When i connect the upper smaller wire with the other one on the negative again, this one looms like it sucks up the current as with it plugged i barely have any power to light up gauges and lights wont even turn on.

Second is my rr wiring. Looks like the connector melted and po just welded the wires together. I head about the charging mod, but was not able to find it on the forum. Anyonr can point it to me please?

Of and the bike runs like ****. I can only start it with starting fluid and i need to give it lots of it. Once it has been running for a minute or so it will run on its own but not on 4 cyl. This looks more like a carb or gas cap, petcock or vacuum problem as it dies when i put choke on.

Comment

go here for all the relevant info you need for working on your 30 year old bike...

Comment

I can't think of anything that is worse for your motor than starting fluid. It will completely scrub all the oil off your cylinder walls. You know it will run, so rebuild the carbs according to the information here, perform all the maintenance required for a 30 year old bike and you might end up with a nice bike.
        '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

I wont use anymore of starting fluid. I used it twice just to make sure the engine actually runs. Ill clean the carbs, clean all connections, perform the charging mod to delete the wiring to the headlight and go from there.

But is the two wires on the negative poll of the battery is normal or it has been added?

Comment

typically there is one, but the PO might have added it, trace it and see where it goes...usually there is one main negative lead that will go from the battery negative terminal and the other end will usually be attached on the engine, at the back and near the rear fender area...

At least that it how it is on my bike...

Comment

Thank you very much. Ill trace where the second one goes and go from there

Comment

I head about the charging mod, but was not able to find it on the forum. Anyonr can point it to me please?
                I would also like to know where to find a write-up on this. Anyone have the link?

Comment

ok I will post it again....

Comment

Working...
                  X