Sucking batteries dry (newbie help)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by crippens View Post
    I have already removed the carbs and cleaned throughly. all jets are clear with no obstructions.
    What about all the little passages that are buried deep in the carb bodies that you can not see?

A visual cleaning is not nearly enough. Unless and UNTIL you do a full "strip and dip" cleaning, there is absolutely no reason to even think of connecting a new battery, let alone pushing the starter button.

Adjusting the valves is rather cheap. About $10 or so for a new gasket and just over $6 (each) if you choose to buy new shims.
    This would also be the proper time to take advantage of the offer down there in my sig.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
      Okay,

so let's make sure we are all on the same page here:

A. Your carbs are clean
      B. valves need checking (possibly adjusting)

1. With a NEW battery the motorcycle starts up and runs fine
      2. The next day, after having run the motorcycle, the motorcycle has a hard time starting
      3. After trying to start it up the next time around, it won't...

Is that an accurate summation of your experience so far?
      even with a fully charged battery I am having hard start conditions. but the last time i connected a fully charged battery to it and set the pet cock to prime it fired right up with almost no problems. next day hard start and battery died almost instantly. on ran for like 5 mins on idle only. not actually riding it yet. I think i do need to completely strip and dip the carbs again, then on to the valves.

Comment

Originally posted by crippens View Post
        even with a fully charged battery I am having hard start conditions. but the last time i connected a fully charged battery to it and set the pet cock to prime it fired right up with almost no problems. next day hard start and battery died almost instantly. on ran for like 5 mins on idle only. not actually riding it yet. I think i do need to completely strip and dip the carbs again, then on to the valves.
        Have you checked the voltage using the Quick Test. I know my GS1100E was hard to start when there was a voltage drop down to about 10.5V at the coil. After doing the Coil relay mod it would fire nearly instantly.

Comment

ok, i know for sure it is not a battery issue. the first new battery came with the bike when i bought it a couple weeks ago. it was a fill yourself and charge. he didn't charge it up right the first time. i just talked to him (my neighbor who I bought the bike from). same with the second. i just gave him the battery back and he came back with a new one. probably the same issue with that. today i just went out and bought my own and asked the parts guy about charging them he said 1a-1.5a for 5 hours or so. it fired right up. the issue is not the bike (opinion) is running crazy rich. wont start with choke open, but fires up with closed great. dies out with giving it about 20% throttle. and wont even accelerate when in gear can't get it to move just dies out.
          (sorry this is now a different issue and should probably post elsewhere)

Comment

continued...

Comment

Working...
            X