Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with wiring front brake brake light...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with wiring front brake brake light...

Hello all,
    I'm looking for some help on how I wire up my front brake lever to the brake light. 78 GS550. Pulling my front brake does not activate the brake light. Not sure if I have it wired wrong or what. If I know it's wired right, then I can move onto the handle sensor.
    Here's the 2 wires that come from the handle, white and orange.

I have 3 wires to choose from to connect these to: white, orange with green stripe, and brown.

i think it goes orange to orange, white (from switch) to black on harness. it does not matter which way you connect them onto the switch itself.
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Have you tested the switch to make sure there is continuity when the handle is depressed? You may want to try that to make sure the switch at the handle bar is good.

Comment

Originally posted by SweetP View Post
        Have you tested the switch to make sure there is continuity when the handle is depressed? You may want to try that to make sure the switch at the handle bar is good.
        Yes, this - on the bottom of the front brake lever perch lies the front brake switch assy. There's a cover over the switch where the wires enter - two machine screws hold the cover on. Remove the cover & clean/lubricate with dielectric grease the contact plate & mating slide piece. Take care when you open this up as there are tiny bits (spring, copper contact) that will disappear into the abyss given the oportunity.

Notice that the cover holes are slotted, so you can adjust the contact sensitivity of the lever by moving sliding the cover back & forth.

When the switch is activited (making contact) the two leads should show continuity - no continuity when not depressed.
        '85 GS550L - SOLD
        '85 GS550E - SOLD
        '82 GS650GL - SOLD
        '81 GS750L - SOLD
        '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
        '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
        '82 GS1100G - SOLD
        '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
          Take care when you open this up as there are tiny bits (spring, copper contact) that will disappear into the abyss given the oportunity.

Yes, your 'parts catching' scheme is the most important part of this operation. The rest is really simple, but can require the patience of Job. It's just a matter of polishing two small copper rails and a small 'U' - shaped contact that is pushed onto and off of the rails.
          and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
          __________________________________________________ ______________________
          2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

I think I figured it out. I bought a "NOS" brake handle, but it doesn't have the same groove for the switch like the factory handle did. Guess I need another one.

Comment

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
              Take care when you open this up as there are tiny bits (spring, copper contact) that will disappear into the abyss given the oportunity.
              You are indeed correct about that, basically the same switch is used for the clutch safety circuit. As careful as I was (I even swept the garage floor in preparation to look for dropped parts) that little spring got away from me, I saw it hit the ground and from there, who knows where. I laid down on the floor with my eye level to the ground and with a flashlight looking for anything that stuck up from the floor. An hour into the search I found it, sitting on my engine case between my starter clutch cover and the cylinders. Pure luck, that thing is so small.
              sigpic
              Steve
              "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

Install a pressure switch instead of the OE style one

Comment

Originally posted by cableguy View Post
                  Install a pressure switch instead of the OE style one
                  you still have to connect it up, electrically.........
                  1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

You're right, i guess i jumped ahead to solve another problem that hasn't happened yet-"i just connected my brake wiring and when i tried to adjust the switch the spring flew away"

Comment

Working...
                    X