Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R/r smoke

Greetings,
    Last year I purchased a 1980 GS1000E with 27K miles on the odometer from the original owner. The bike had been garaged and actually looked good. A Windjammer and saddle bags had been installed.
    First thing was a carburetor rebuilding and sync. Removed and sold bags and Windjammer. Adjusted the valves, replaced plugs, battery, oil and filter, air filter, fork oil, and brake fluid flush. The ignition switch was also replaced with an ebay $35 item. If I remember correctly, the turn signals were not functioning. Problem solved.
    I have ridden the bike a few hundred miles at this point.
    On another occasion, while the bike was idling, by pure chance, I touched the R/R and noticed that the item was hot to the touch. Removed the R/R and there is no mfg name anywhere. Even with a new battery, the bike just turns over when starting cold. Take the headlamp fuse out, and the engine turns over and starts much easier when cold.
    The fuse box looks too new-I suspect that has been replaced. The no name R/R has been wired the following way.

The green/white striped and white/red striped (factory harness, by the battery) wires are not connected to anything-just flapping in the breeze.
    The no name R/R has been wired to the stator with the R/R white/red striped butt connected to the stator factory green/white striped wire. R/R solid red connected to the stator solid red. R/R solid yellow connected to the stator solid yellow.
    The two factory harness black/white striped wires I attached one to the battery box bracket and the other to the negative side of the solenoid.
    Single point grounding connection as follows. I hooked one wire from the negative side of the solenoid to the single point connection (screw) on the R/R. Second wire from single point connection (same screw) to battery box ground connection. A third wire from single point (screw) connection to the negative side of the battery. The fourth wire from R/R to the single point (screw) connection.

Hit the starter button and massive smoke. Turned the key off. The bike starter CONTINUES to run. Quickly I took all the fuses out but the starter continues to run. Franticly I raise the seat, remove air box while the flippin starter continues to run. Finally got the positive cable disconnected.

Was it the negative solenoid wire connected to single point ground of the R/R?

The solid red fuse box to battery positive is fried. The two factory harness black/white striped wires (one to negative of solenoid, second to battery box ground is fried. Negative solenoid to single point ground fried. I am currently pealing back the tape on the factory wiring harness to see how far back the black /white striped wires have been scorched. Chock it up to (lack of) experience. Horse snot!

Hi,

Some information for you:

The Stator Papers

Compatible Stators and R/Rs
    More On The Stator Papers
    GS Charging System Health+Quick Test

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

You let the smoke out
      It should be fine.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
      X