1981 GS-550 won't start...sometimes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 GS-550 won't start...sometimes

I have just ridden a couple of times this season and have noticed something annoying, odd and a bit dangerous.

Sometimes I put the key in, press the button and it starts just fine. Others, (and I have the ignition button ON and the clutch pulled in) it does nothing. The proper lights are on and the battery has a full charge, but I don't hear a sound of any kind. I can try 10-20 times and then it will just "work" and start right up. In this state, I cannot bump start it, so it's acting like the start switch has been set to "off."

What could be wrong?

Dirty contacts in the start button/killswitch area. Very common. Carefully open up the switch and clean ll contacts. Careful as the contacts are small and ther is a small spring in there too.

Electrical issues are common on old bikes and its usually due to dirty or corroded contacts. One of the things you will need to do if you want the bike tobe reliable is to go through the wiring harness and clean all connectors and contacts on electrical components. You also want to make sure you have clean and solid grounds.

Lots to tidy up on old bikes so get to work then enjoy the ride.
    spyug

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post
      Dirty contacts in the start button/killswitch area. Very common. Carefully open up the switch and clean ll contacts. Careful as the contacts are small and ther is a small spring in there too.

Electrical issues are common on old bikes and its usually due to dirty or corroded contacts. One of the things you will need to do if you want the bike tobe reliable is to go through the wiring harness and clean all connectors and contacts on electrical components. You also want to make sure you have clean and solid grounds.

Lots to tidy up on old bikes so get to work then enjoy the ride.
      spyug
      Thanks so much for your advice. I also noticed that when it gets hot it cuts out at red lights but starts right back up. Any idea what that might be?

My friends tell me I'm silly for putting money (and time) into a 32 year old bike, and when I'm pulling the carbs and getting grimy and dirty I can get feeling that way. But when I finally get her going again - well, I'm sure you know the feeling :-)

Comment

As spyug said, electrical gremlins are real common - cleaning should work, but if all else fails, scoop a used switch of ebay or junk yard- best to know what your connector plug(s) look like.

AS to this....
        "My friends tell me I'm silly for putting money (and time) into a 32 year old bike, and when I'm pulling the carbs and getting grimy and dirty I can get feeling that way. But when I finally get her going again - well, I'm sure you know the feeling :-) "
        What can I say -I marvel at how well my 81 runs
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
        X