no timing adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no timing adjustment

Hey all I am new to this form and had a question Ihave been searching far and wide with no hope for this information. Here is my problem i have no adjustment in my timing plate I have moved it from one exteme to the other with nothing it is always reading a quarter advanced...... I have the factory service manual and have tried to do it their way and nothig seems to work correctly withit static. So I have been using my timing light. Could one of you gurus help me out it is a 1978 gs 750

Sounds like the mechanical advance governor in the back, behind the timing plate is stuck or otherwise not working.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Huh that make perfect sense. I literally had that off ten minutes ago looking at it,, how would that go bad its just those springs would they loose tension? So its always holding it at a quarter advanced ?

Comment

If the spring are returning the weights then they are ok. Another thing to remember is that the big main plate controls 1 and 4 and the smaller sub plate mounted on the face of the main plate controls 2 and 3.

You set the main plate ( 1 and 4 ) first, and then do the sub plate and do 2 and 3.

And you need to go to bikecliffs website and get the 8 valve model service manual downloaded.
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Comment

Twist the advancer to see that it does move when you do it..thats how it works. As the RPMs go up it twists on the base and that throws the weights out from centrifigal force..thus advancing the timing as needed.

Comment

Check, I am pretty sure I have the points correctly set an plugs correctly gapped its like there is nothing happining when I rotate it. When I advance the dial to Fourty degrees at 1500 rpms on the gun it willline the marks up all the way through the adjustment plate

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. makingpain,

You'll find a lot of general maintenance tips and documentation in the links below. It's your "mega-welcome".

If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. You'll find all kinds of helpful tips, procedures, manuals, diagrams, "how-to" guides, etc, in the links below. Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

More links to helpful threads in the forum:
                Help! Your Bike Won't Start
                DON'T DO THESE THINGS
                Help! Your Bike Won't Run Well
                Oh God! Pods!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks for the welcom basscliff I have read through your web site and learned a lot thanks for putting it all together. But i didn't seem to find any troubleshooting on timing, if your plate makes no adjustment to the bikes timing when moved and thanks again for that web site I really found a lot of great info

Comment

What Chuck is saying is that you should start this way:
                    With the engine stopped, try to rotate the advance mechanism. The small weights (should be a pair, IIRC) will swing out and the springs will stretch. This is the first thing to do. If they do not swing out, and the springs pull them back when you let go, there is the issue.

Comment

The dial back timing light may be screwing with the timing reading getting a false signal with the wasted spark system. USE THE LIGHT just as a timing light set it on 0 and use the engine timing marks to set it !!!

Comment

I dont think he mentioned it, but if the timing is changing as he turns the plate he would hear the change in the engine also.

So I must ask, do you hear the engine change as you rotate the timing plate?

Comment

I have new plugs coils wires caps and points I have tuned the carbs as much as possible with this other issue going on its an odd situation

Comment

It will bog slightly when it is slid all the way clockwise then slightly get cleaner as I come off it counter clockwise but nothing changes on the light

Comment

That sounds like the plate and advancer ARE working...so the light is the problem as suggested .

Comment

Working...
                              X