Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Power to front turn signals but bulb will not light??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power to front turn signals but bulb will not light??

I just got this bike and when I turn on either turn signal only the back on will light up and not blink. Today I checked the front signal and see the ground wires were not hooked up. I hooked them up installed bulbs and same thing, back lights up constant light on dash lights but nothing from bulb. I pulled the bulb turned on the directional and with a test light I have power to the socket. Grounded on socket and the tip of tester to the center post in socket and the test light lights right up but yet the bulb will not light. The filaments look fine in the bulbs so am wondering what could be going on.

Any idea would be appreciated. BTW same thing on both sides.....

Thanks in advance, Ben

Wrong kind of bulb ???Switch out a front bulb with one from opposite side in rear- then see if that side with both bulbs now flashes. Without a front and rear bulb to cause the right current draw, flasher won't work
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I finally got it. For some reason it was not getting a ground on the front 2 directional so I had to rig up a wire to go directly to the socket as a ground and now they work great. My test light was showing a complete circuit through the signals the whole time, but as soon as I hooked up the new ground away it started blinking.

BUT NOW......

Got it all back together and now the gas gauge just sits at full all the time with only like a 1/3 tank. It worked fine before this but now it just sits there on full. Really starting to urk me, especially when the dang thing just was working an hour ago and now it doesn't. Any ideas on what would cause the gas gauge to suddenly show a full tank all the time? All wiring looks ok from what I can see.

Comment

You need to go through the wiring harness and clean all the plug in connectors as well as the grounds. If you don't already have issues with your charging system , you are going to . as you already found out that you have grounding issues with your directional s. Remember this thing is 32 years old.
        1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
        80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
        1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
        83 gs750ed- first new purchase
        85 EX500- vintage track weapon
        1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
        “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
        If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

it sounds like you must have dislodged or disturbed a wire in the headlight bucket while playing around with your blinkers. go back in and check all connections are clean and tight
          1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

It has a fairing on it so no headlight bucket mounted on the triples. All the wiring is tucked back behind the fairing but I did unplug each connection up front, wire brush em down, spray with contact cleaner and put back together with no luck. I was just reading through the service manual and seen a section on trouble shooting the fuel gauge actually so may give that a go around in a little bit.

Thanks for all the help and plan to go back and double check every connection again just to be sure.

Comment

Working...
            X