Headlight on then little to no signal light flash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headlight on then little to no signal light flash

Hey everyone, i figure this might be a simple answer for some but not for me. When i am riding in daylight (no headlight on) signals and everything work great. as soon as i turn the headlight on. the signals flash but really slow. then soon enough they are not flashing at all not even the indicator shows up any more. I see lots of comments about cleaning grounds. If this is it where i need to be looking can somone point me to the spots i should be cleaning. also the point that i should test for power loss in the system.

upgraded the headlight bulb supposed to the brighter and use less power. still the same thing.

Thanks (without this forum i would not be to the poin that i am. RIDING!!)
    Caleb

You need to go through all the connectors in the harness, plugs switches and grounds. Take a good look at the main ground from the battery and check it for hidden corrosion and broken wire strands. Also clean up the turn signal bulb sockets, using dielectric grease on everything you clean. The first thing I did with mine was make a heavy 4 AWG ground and then worked my way through the harness. I suspect when you start the bike with the headlight on, it dims way down.
    Last edited by OldVet66; 05-13-2013, 09:29 AM.
    http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Hi,

Low voltage can cause the symptoms you speak of. Check the charging system and the battery.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

forgot to post the results of this. Damn did i feel dumb on this one. I started to follow the electrical through the system., once i got the R/R i found the issue. The ground wire was tucked away hidden from sight NOT connected. Imagine that no issues at all now. just an issue with not being able to put it on the kickstand (have to use the center stand all the time. Will not start after going to the side stand for more then a minute. think the carbs are flooding when it is on its side. only way to start at that time is the push and pop the clutch. usually a couple of good back fires after that.

Thanks for the help guys.

This place is the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Red View Post
          When i am riding in daylight (no headlight on) ...
          How are you getting away with that in Canada???

With all the other "safety" laws they have, I thought it was downright MANDATORY to have your lights on at all times.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

You might check your float level height. My GPz leans way, way over when it is on the sidestand but it does not flood.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              How are you getting away with that in Canada???

With all the other "safety" laws they have, I thought it was downright MANDATORY to have your lights on at all times.

Not mandatory just very highly recommended to have your headlight on all the time. now that i have found the loose wire i do have it on all the time. will double check the float heights and carbs again soon when i get a free weekend of not nice weather. but with two little kids they are hard to find.

Thanks again folks.

Comment

Working...
              X