83 GS1100 E self canceling turnsignal unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 GS1100 E self canceling turnsignal unit

Are the turnsignal self canceling units available for my bike and, if so, where and how much? Also, where are they located on the bike?

They are on the fuse block panel.
    I have one if you need one.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Self Canceling turn signals

If I need one I'll PM you this weekend. How much do you want for it?

Comment

It just occurred to me.

If the speedo isn't working, will the self canceling feature work? I seem to recall it works on time and distance. My speedo isn't working because I can't seem to get the right cable. There seems to be something missing where the cable goes into the unit on the front wheel.

Thanks

Art

Comment

They look like this, under the left frame cover, one connector, one ground wire. For the self cancelling unit to work, it does get it's input from the speedo, at least distance. If that is not working I think they'll just flash until you manually cancel at the left hand control.
          sigpic
          Steve
          "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

No speedo cable no self cancel.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
              No speedo cable no self cancel.
              Ahhhh, that's what the little sensor is next to the magnet in the speedo! I just had my speedo apart over the weekend and was wondering what that little bugger was for!

Comment

Success!

I went to Cycle Recycle in Indy and they had the correct cable. Now I've got everything on the dash working except the battery light which stays on all the time even though the alternator is putting out 13 volts. Ah, well, it's always something.

By the way, I recommend Cycle Recycle. They've got the stuff and the owner and his wife are both very knowledgeable and easy to deal with. The shop is like an old-time bike shop. It's in a rough part of town and only open from 12 to 6, five days a week but that's okay. They had all the parts I needed.

Art

Comment

You rode nearly 1,900 miles to get parts?

That's hardcore, man.

I'm a local, and a regular at Cycle Recycle II. Love the place.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by artbone View Post
                    Now I've got everything on the dash working except the battery light which stays on all the time even though the alternator is putting out 13 volts. Ah, well, it's always something.
                    The battery light has NOTHING to do with the output voltage.

At the end of the wire that feeds that light is a sensor that is designed to get wet. What gets it wet? ONE cell in the battery.
                    The stock battery had a hole in the top of one of the middle cells into which the sensor was placed. If the electrolyte level was down (in that ONE cell), the battery light would be lit.

If you do not have such a battery, find the sensor (or the wire that went to it), connect it to a switched power lead, like one of the fuses for LIGHTS, SIGNALS or IGNITION. When that sensor wire 'sees' voltage, it will turn the battery light OFF.

By the way, if your "alternator" is putting out 13 volts, you need to find out why it is so low.
                    It should be putting out over 14 volts.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      The battery light has NOTHING to do with the output voltage.

At the end of the wire that feeds that light is a sensor that is designed to get wet. What gets it wet? ONE cell in the battery.
                      The stock battery had a hole in the top of one of the middle cells into which the sensor was placed. If the electrolyte level was down (in that ONE cell), the battery light would be lit.

If you do not have such a battery, find the sensor (or the wire that went to it), connect it to a switched power lead, like one of the fuses for LIGHTS, SIGNALS or IGNITION. When that sensor wire 'sees' voltage, it will turn the battery light OFF.

By the way, if your "alternator" is putting out 13 volts, you need to find out why it is so low.
                      It should be putting out over 14 volts.

Thank you. Another mystery solved; problem fixed.
                      I want to thank all the experts on this forum who make the lives of us noobies so much easier. You guys are great!

Art

Comment

Confirmed. The speedo cable broke and I was waiting for a replacement. Then I noticed that self canceling of the turn signals stopped working. How many things can break at the sametime!!! Replaced cable and self-canceling started working again. Thanks for the post.

Comment

Working...
                        X