gs650GL wiring work on 83` gs650MD katana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a 83` gs650G-MD and it needs all new wiring, i need to know if it possible to swap a gs650GL wire harness including the voltage reg. fuse panel and CDI unit. i know 81-83 there they had CDI units in some bikes. im not sure if its transferable, if the plugs are the same are not? thanks.

The wiring is probably close enough. Not sure how the "M" attaches the plate that holds R/R and ignitor on ( P.S. these things have have ignitors, not CDI's ) The ignitor on your 83 is the same unit as on my 81 gs650L, so would have same plugs. The R/R wiring should be altered , as the stock setup has problems; Did you read the stuff about charging issues ?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Not yet I'll check it out, some didn't charge good enough, is there a simple fix to do that? According to some oem parts web sights, that box is called the ignighter unit, I thought they would be the cdi of it all? That's good they are all pretty much the same, is there a difference between the 16 valve and 8 valve on the igniter unit?

Comment

Charging problems are very common and need to be addressed if you'd like to ride more than an hour at a time- before stopping and recharging your battery.
        Different models and years have different ignitor boxes. I have never heard of a 16 valve 650 suzuki. All 650 shaft suzukis used same ignitor box- but you could opt for a dyna ignition system.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I remember hearing about the gs650E where 16vavle engines, i wasnt sure if the there was a difference between them both, i went ahead and baught the wire harness for a gs650md katana and gauge cluster from a GT, just need to go ahead and get the igniter unit, and regulator. the igniter unit was mounted to the inner fender, shouldnt be to hard. thanks for your info.

Comment

Working...
          X