Rick's stators?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rick's stators?

I'm revamping my charging system to a Compu-fire 55402 R/R and I was planning on a Rick's stator. Is this stator the best? Thanks.

Hi,

Yes, Rick's make good stators.

Thank you for your indulgence,

Cliff

Comment

If you are using a Compufire(SERIES R/R), then the extra power from a Electrosport will be OK and it will boost your low RPM charging voltage some. I have no issues with Electrosport and I have been impressed with the thickness of the baby blue powder coat epoxy they used for insulation. Much thicker than others.

If you are using a SHUNT R/R expecially a MOSSFET R/R dont get the Electrosport. I would burn my un regularly when using SHUNT MOSTFET.

Some people have reported them as having poor quality. I only have experience with the ones for GS1100E's.

One of the manufacture's provides a replacement grommet nut I don't think it is Electrosport. Cliff probably know which one and I suspect it is Rick's.
      Last edited by posplayr; 05-18-2013, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
        One of the manufacture's provides a replacement grommet nut I don't think it is Electrosport.
        I am in the process of getting set up as a dealer for a guy who rewinds stators. I have done one batch of the smaller stators (for 850cc and lower), and am about to send out my second batch for rewinding, which includes a larger stator for a 1000. So far, they look good. They have a clear epoxy on them, are very nicely wound and include stock bullet connectors AND A GROMMET.

Still working on all the details, but I should be able to provide these rather soon at a much more affordable price than the usual retailers.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          I am in the process of getting set up as a dealer for a guy who rewinds stators. I have done one batch of the smaller stators (for 850cc and lower), and am about to send out my second batch for rewinding, which includes a larger stator for a 1000. So far, they look good. They have a clear epoxy on them, are very nicely wound and include stock bullet connectors AND A GROMMET.

Still working on all the details, but I should be able to provide these rather soon at a much more affordable price than the usual retailers.

Make sure you keep us all posted when this is available Steve!
          Rob
          1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
          Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

A question for posplayr; on your guide for the compu-fire install you use two ground wires, one to frame and one to battery. Why? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by jona View Post
              A question for posplayr; on your guide for the compu-fire install you use two ground wires, one to frame and one to battery. Why? Thanks.
              There are actually 3 wires connected to the R/R ground.
              • Harness B/W
              • Battery
              • Frame ground.

It is a single point ground and I have posted at length about it. There are several links in GS Charging Health including

Some links to prior posts:

High Performance Power and Grounding

Ground Loops

Comment

Originally posted by jona View Post
                I'm revamping my charging system to a Compu-fire 55402 R/R and I was planning on a Rick's stator. Is this stator the best? Thanks.
                I've been using that same setup on my GS1000 for a time now and using an on board digital voltmeter for several hundred miles the readings are text book. No issues with charging at all.
                1980 GS1000E

Comment

Good to here mustangflyr. I just got done ordering them.

Comment

This is such a cool endeavor! I love this kind of thing. I hope this works into a very profitable venture. Where do you get the cores? Or would this be a 'core-charge or exchange' type of transaction, like when you buy an automotive starter?

We need pictures!
                    and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
                    __________________________________________________ ______________________
                    2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Originally posted by robertbarr View Post
                      This is such a cool endeavor! I love this kind of thing. I hope this works into a very profitable venture. Where do you get the cores? Or would this be a 'core-charge or exchange' type of transaction, like when you buy an automotive starter?

We need pictures!
                      OK, I had a few cores here. I sent them out to have them rewound. I installed one on "Rat Bagger" and sold one.
                      I have a few more ready to send out, including one of the larger ones from a 1000.

Here is a picture of the last one I have onhand at the moment, it may have to go in Mrs. Steve's bike, so it's not for sale quite yet.

Not quite sure on the price yet, but it's looking like it's going to be about $85, including shipping.

Yes, cores will be necessary, but I am hoping to get a few of them done and sitting on my shelf before I 'open the doors' for business.
                      That way, I can get one to you in just a few days, then you can send your core back to me.
                      Hoping to not get into a core charge type of transaction, I am going to try trusting y'all to get the cores back to me reasonably quick.

If anyone has any spare stators lying around that they would like to donate to the cause, I will be happy to put a note next to your name indicating credit for pre-sending a core.

sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Steve,

any thoughts to wiring those up with direct connectors to the Furakawa-style connectors used in the SH775 instead of the bullets?

I do have to say that I would have appreciated the "extra" bullet connectors last night when I was putting in a new gasket on my stator cover. My stator is directly wired to the R/R without bullet connectors. That made a simple job much more difficult than it needed to be.
                        '83 GS650G
                        '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
                          Steve,

any thoughts to wiring those up with direct connectors to the Furakawa-style connectors used in the SH775 instead of the bullets?
                          That could be a possibility, but would have to be done on a custom, "made just for you" basis.

The stators come with a set, standard length lead. If I were to ask for leads that were long enough to reach the R/R that is mounted on the side (or the bottom) of the battery box, like on my 850, it might not be long enough to mount on the back of the battery box, like I have seen on some bikes. Would not make sense to order them all with leads that are three feet long, just to accommodate the one or two that would need them.

If you want the Furakawa-style connector, it would be easiest to order them up yourself, then solder in the exact-length extensions that you need, and add the connectors to the ends of the extensions.

I suppose that I could also order in a bunch of those connectors and pre-wire them with the extensions that you could then solder in to the stator leads when you know exactly how long they need to be.

sigpic
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride

Comment

I suppose that I could also order in a bunch of those connectors and pre-wire them with the extensions that you could then solder in to the stator leads when you know exactly how long they need to be.

That ^^^^ is some good thinking. Of course, the old nip and tuck isn't that hard for most of us around here, either.
                            '83 GS650G
                            '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

I definitely want to be on the informed list for that.
                              future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

Working...
                              X