Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

77 750 wiring question

Gents,

I'm close to putting a battery in, and the wire in the picture below was hanging out near the battery compartment, looking like it wants to be attached to the negative terminal. Can that be right? What is this wire for? I thought the negative terminal was only to be grounded...any help would be appreciated!

I'm working on a 77 GS750 that I picked up for a song last summer. Finally found some time to work on her, and she's been dubbed Misty. Ya, she's a real treat on the eyes.

Basscliff, no need for the mega-welcome - I've seen it, and both that and your website are amazing. They've been my guide thus far. Many thanks.

Well, where/what does that wire connect to? Might be an additional ground to battery negative added to improve charging, but could also be for some accessory plug the PO thoughtfully left you.

PS; "Misty" ? there was a Clint Eastwood movie "play misty for me" so beware!
    Last edited by tom203; 05-19-2013, 05:25 PM. Reason: typo
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Sorry, I meant to mention that. It's going down into the engine, near the back, at the same spot some other wiring goes in. Not sure where from there...

Comment

Into the back of engine?? same place where starter motor positive cable goes? usually the wires from stator are in same place, so you have to keep digging - i.e. remove starter motor cover
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by billyhoyle View Post
          Gents, ...
          Why limit your audience? We have several well-qualified females that could answer your question, too.

Originally posted by billyhoyle View Post
          I thought the negative terminal was only to be grounded.
          Kind of hard to see, due to the very small picture size, but it does appear to be a rather large gauge wire. If it is a large wire, that IS your ground wire.

If that's the wire I think it is, follow it down, you may find that it is bolted to the back of the engine cases. That is the large wire that provides the return path for the starter.

You may also find another wire or two that will connect to the negative terminal of the battery. ANY wire on the bike that is black with a white stripe is a ground wire. Be sure to look for the white stripe, because the power wire for the left turn signal is solid black.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Excellent, thanks for the help gents! It was indeed the ground wire, and there are a couple of others as well, and they're grounded to the frame bolt under the front of the seat.

And I'm not sure why I dubbed her Misty...wanted a somewhat stripper sounding name (apologies to anyone with mothers/sisters/wives named Misty) because she's a bit on the rough side.

Comment

Working...
            X