Dynatek DS3-2 Electronic Ignition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dynatek DS3-2 Electronic Ignition

I put this in my 79 GS1000L and everything was great until a few weeks ago. I'm losing spark on 2,3 after it gets hot. I swapped the wires to run opposite coils and the same thing is happening, no spark on 2,3. I'm thinking there may be something wrong with the 2,3 pickup on the ignition? This is 13 months old (warranty up last month) with ~4k miles on it. Anyone have issues with this product? Is there a better one out there? Please advise.

How is your charging system, I had the same problem my weak charging system ruined o e of my pick ups. I had the same symptoms as you are describing.

Comment

I replaced the stator and r/r both from ricks last year. I just fired it up and have 12.95V at the battery.

Comment

Originally posted by Rodman View Post
        I replaced the stator and r/r both from ricks last year. I just fired it up and have 12.95V at the battery.
        what are the Quick Test results?

Comment

Thought I did the quick test, voltage at battery when running, what do you mean?

Comment

Originally posted by Rodman View Post
            Thought I did the quick test, voltage at battery when running, what do you mean?
            See the link in my signature

Comment

Check the gap between the rotor and the pick ups for #2 & 3 cylinders. Also check that the pick up wire is not shorting or broken anywhere - especially where it exits the timing cover.

"to do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. Indeed, life is not measured in years alone but in achievement...." Bruce McLaren

Comment

If all the above suggestions do not provide resolution contact Dynatek, they are really good about helping people out even if they are out of your warrenty period.
                Feel The Pulse!

1982 GS1100E with Tracy one piece body
                2007 Roadstar Midnight Warrior

ebay cntgeek

Comment

I decided to look at some connections before doing the quick test from posplayr and found this horrific sight. The connections are oily, maybe I put dielectric lube on them, dont remember, would that be bad?? Should I try to salvage these connections or put on some new ones? I'm going to do some resitance test to hopefully see if the stator is good. I guess the bad ignition is moot at this point if I don't have the power system in place...

Comment

I would cut them out and solder.

Comment

Okay getting desperate here, I ran through all checks on the stator pages successfully, went ahead, cut, soldered stator & r/r wires. Checked all other connections no visible signs of heat, cleaned and tighten all. Put the coil & plug wiring back (I swapped these to validate 2-3 coil) now that I know both coils are good. It was running fine the whole time but didn't get running hot. Did the quick test with these results:
                      1.) key off................Normal 12.7 volts-12.9 volts (12.8V)
                      2.) key on (but not cranking with lights for 10 sec).....Normal 12.2-12.5 volts (12.2V)
                      3.) at idle (1500 rpm).....12.6volts - 13.2volts (13.5V - idle set @ 1100RPM)
                      4.) at 2500 rpm 13.5 -14.0 volts (13.7V)
                      5.) at 5000 rpm.....14.0 -15.0 volts (13.9V - it would immediately go to 14V as the revs came down and then drop with the revs to 13.5V at idle)
                      6.) key off.....slightly higher than measurements # 1 (12.8-13.0 v) (12.9V)
                      Other checks I did, +battery terminal to relay has .1Ω, -battery terminal has 0Ω, r/r to -battery terminal has 0Ω (I cleaned & re-tightened these as well).
                      After this I took it out, I live close to a highway and decided I'd go this route, 5 miles on the highway the misfire started, was able to pull off at an exit it where it totally died. A few cranks and it was back (always does this). I took some back roads and since all was fine and time limited got back on the highway. It ran great and I put another 45 HARD highway miles on it with no issue??? Fuel was running low so I came home and that's where it's at, so now what?

Thanks for the input from everyone!

Comment

One thing that makes diagnosis much simpler is to mount a digital voltmeter on the cycle somewhere hooked to the battery. That way I could monitor the charging system at all times under all conditions. With that information and posplayr's quick test chart you'll see what's happening. And make sure all connectors are clean and tight. With a Rick's stator and a Compufire R/R my system is just about perfect output wise.
                        1980 GS1000E

Comment

Your charging looks fine, but your dyna tec pick up can still be bad. Dyna can check them but they can check out fine. But mine would only act up when they got hot. I went back to stock and never got stranded again.

Comment

The wick test results look good although a little low. You should run the revised phase A tests but the voltages are not low enough to cause any concerns for other devices.

Comment

for kdo58 - I ran this bike for 2 seasons with a faulty charging system ,(had to charge my battery often and it only lasted those 2 seasons) it wasn't until I made the charging system work and got an electronic ignition, did what I consider real problems start. Real problems to me are leaving me stranded...

for posplayr - I agree that these voltages while not at your spec should be insignificant to my problems. I paid little for this bike and it had 12K on it (22k now), pic as it sits right now below. I have spent equal with upgrades, tires, morgan carbtune(never used) color tune, all parts required to rebuild the carbs and do a valve adjust (neither one of those were done..). It's quite disheartening to have these issues with a simple bike and I'm getting close to throwing in the towel. I'm going to contact Dyna and go from there.
                              Last edited by Guest; 05-27-2013, 11:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X