No announcement yet.

Dynatek DS3-2 Electronic Ignition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It sounds like you are having cut outs only after getting hot. I'm also assuming your quick test results were cold. So what is happening to the voltage when you get hot? What voltage do you have at the coils hot or cold. I would take a ride and bring a volt meter probably ride with one on the dash and if you are dropping anything significant to the coils do the relay mod so the whole ignition (coils and dynamic) are powered from the relay.

Comment

I would suggest if only 2-3 are causing problems to replace the pickup. I have had them fail and dyna has replaced them even out of warrenty.

Comment

Update

I bought and installed a new Dyna last week. I've been riding it everyday since with temps here in Denver at 90°F and higher going over 500 miles so far no problems. My make shift volt meter pretty much stays around 13.9V and the highest I've seen is 14.1V. Dyna did honor the warranty even though it was 1 month past so now I have a backup ignition

Comment

Originally posted by kdo58 View Post
          I would cut them out and solder.
          agree .......

Comment

Originally posted by Rodman View Post
            Update

I bought and installed a new Dyna last week. I've been riding it everyday since with temps here in Denver at 90°F and higher going over 500 miles so far no problems. My make shift volt meter pretty much stays around 13.9V and the highest I've seen is 14.1V. Dyna did honor the warranty even though it was 1 month past so now I have a backup ignition
            Sounds like you found your main problem. Not sure I would call the old Dyna a spare if it has cut out issues??

Are you using an analog volt meter? If so it is kind of hard to do the quick test and measure to a 0.1V.

Comment

posplayr

Already on top on this, I removed and marked the bottom of the pickups on the return with a UV marker (good & bad), it's the same type of ink as a "sharpie" but in UV. Unless they drown it in a solvent it won't come off. If they come back as new I will tout the Dyna service, if not then....??? My make shift meter is digital, I'll post a pic but require at least a chuckle, where would we be without zip ties, solder, and heatshrink? BTW if I've looked at some after market types, know of any good ones for this application?

Comment

If my bike has coil relay mods installed for each coil, how does one go about wiring this up? I'm looking at the DS3-2 for my bike. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by GSOH View Post
                  If my bike has coil relay mods installed for each coil, how does one go about wiring this up? I'm looking at the DS3-2 for my bike. Thanks
                  You can tie the (+) feed for the Dyna into either. The Dyna S is a 3-wire connection; red (+12V) wire, and a ground for each coil. Grounding is through the plate. Couldn't be much easier.

Not sure what the advantage would be to a coil relay mod for each coil independently, but it shouldn't be a big deal. Just pick one and tie the red +12V into the same wire feeding the coil.

Comment

This is how I would wire the Dyna S and the Coil relay mod. It has a minimum of hacking to the stock harness and is completely reversible back to stock.

Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.

As Mike said, the Dyna grounds through the engine block so make sure that you have a good ground to the frame

Comment

I never saw any point in going back to the original wiring since the coil mod works so well. I know the relay is going to fail, so I carry a jumper with spade ends to plug into the battery input terminal and output terminal to the coils so it won't take but a few minutes to bypass the relay and power the coils in an emergency until I can replace the relay. It's my backup if I don't have a spare relay. IMHO, the Dyna-S and coil relay mod are permanent fixtures. I just have to label my wiring so the next owner (my son) will know what I did. One of these days I'll get a "round tuit".
                      Last edited by OldVet66; 06-15-2013, 02:06 PM.
                      http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by OldVet66 View Post
                        I never saw any point in going back to the original wiring since the coil mod works so well. I know the relay is going to fail, so I carry a jumper with spade ends to plug into the battery input terminal and output terminal to the coils so it won't take but a few minutes to bypass the relay and power the coils in an emergency until I can replace the relay. It's my backup if I don't have a spare relay. IMHO, the Dyna-S and coil relay mod are permanent fixtures. I just have to label my wiring so the next owner (my son) will know what I did. One of these days I'll get a "round tuit".
                        The main issue with coil voltage is the succession of switches, connectors and other contacts between the "T" and the coil; it really is not the wire size , it is those contacts.

For my ED at least and I suspect similar for most other GS's, there is only one additional contact involved as opposed to replacement of all of the original wires in the modification I suggested. I started with new harness and new left and right hand switches which in about a year had degraded to the point my bike was a hard start; I live in a humid coastal location (YMMV).
                        With making the changes no more issues. Most of the reversibility is to go back to a stock ignition which I have been running as opposed to the Dyna-S.

My mods are already fully documented in my write up (except maybe I'm the only one that can read them??)

Comment

Well, in my case, mine had points, so there is no question of ever going back. I guess the stock '83 ignition was pretty good, though I have never seen one. I checked out a 2013 CB1100 the other day, who knows, I might win the lottery, stranger things have happened. That is the only bike I would ever consider riding instead of my GS1000E. At virtually 66, a little closer to the ground and lighter with close to the same performance but with a bit more refinement would be perfect, but the GS is good exercise for my arthritis.
                          Last edited by OldVet66; 06-15-2013, 03:44 PM.
                          http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by OldVet66 View Post
                            Well, in my case, mine had points, so there is no question of ever going back. I guess the stock '83 ignition was pretty good, though I have never seen one. I checked out a CB1100 the other day, who knows, I might win the lottery, stranger things have happened. That is the only bike I would ever consider riding instead of my GS1000E.
                            The GS1100E electronic ignitors use a mechanical advance which is what is required with the Dyna S, so there is not much difference between the stock and the DynaS. I tend to trust the OE ignitor more than the DynaS. I have never seen a bad OE ignitor. Can't say the same about the DynaS.

By most accounts of the day, the 83 GS1100E was a more refined bike(save for the front brakes) than the 83 CB1100, I will reserve any other comments as my ED is not very stock any more and I am partial .

Comment

I just edited my last post. It was a 2013 CB1100 retro style that I was looking at.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                                The GS1100E electronic ignitors use a mechanical advance which is what is required with the Dyna S, so there is not much difference between the stock and the DynaS. I tend to trust the OE ignitor more than the DynaS. I have never seen a bad OE ignitor. Can't say the same about the DynaS.

By most accounts of the day, the 83 GS1100E was a more refined bike(save for the front brakes) than the 83 CB1100, I will reserve any other comments as my ED is not very stock any more and I am partial .
                                The CB1100 is a NEW/current model bike so over an '83 anything I'd say it has much

Comment

Working...
                                X