Dynatek DS3-2 Electronic Ignition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OldVet66 View Post
    I just edited my last post. It was a 2013 CB1100 retro style that I was looking at.
    Well that is a whole other subject.

I agree the GS1000 is a well balanced bike perhaps even more so than the 82/83 1100, but after swapping mine to radials and more modern brakes I would never go back either.

Comment

I had always run one size over on the back tire. With this last change to the Shinko 230 Tourmaster tires, I went one size over, front and rear, and I have to say it handles better than it has a right to. The newer brakes will be a next future project.
      http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by OldVet66 View Post
        I had always run one size over on the back tire. With this last change to the Shinko 230 Tourmaster tires, I went one size over, front and rear, and I have to say it handles better than it has a right to. The newer brakes will be a next future project.
        I think the key is to get stiffer side walls which equates to shorter side walls. For the rear going to a 130-70 for example v.s a 120-90 but this is nothing compared to getting a radial, I'm riding 110/80-18(2.75" wheel) and 170/60-18(4.5" wheel).

Not quite the same as the 120/70-17(3.5" wheel) and the 180/55-17(5.5" wheel) which are pretty standard sport setup but it is close and probably all the old GS1100ED needs.

Comment

Originally posted by mike_of_bbg View Post
          You can tie the (+) feed for the Dyna into either. The Dyna S is a 3-wire connection; red (+12V) wire, and a ground for each coil. Grounding is through the plate. Couldn't be much easier.

Not sure what the advantage would be to a coil relay mod for each coil independently, but it shouldn't be a big deal. Just pick one and tie the red +12V into the same wire feeding the coil.
          I'm anxiously awaiting my DS3-2 to come in the mail. Today I decided to take off the old ignitor and remove the signal generator as I understand it, the Dyna replaces all of this and I will no longer be needing it with the upgrade. Couple of things came up.

1) my bolt to hold the advancer and magnet it too short. Thinking I can just go get similar allen head bolt about 5/8" longer.

2) After I disconnected the signal generator, there are two plugs coming out of the ignitor box, one of which goes to the signal generator (black plug), the other (pink plug) going where I do not know. What do I do with the pink plug?

pix of plugs:

closeup of pink plug:

pix of ignitor box just in case anyone wants to see it:

Comment

You can just cover and tuck the plugs if you wish to leave the stock wiring harness unmolested. I actually used the 12V+ connector on the igniter plug as the feed for my coil relay mod. I guess you could also use that harness to connect to the coil grounds, though I just spliced in the black/white Dyna wires between the coil and their plugs (leaving the stock harness intact). Yes, it does replace the sig gen and the igniter together.

Your bolt is too short? Did you get your new rotor already? It should not be tight against the rotor. I found that the Dyna rotor and the included spacer was a bit too tall if the bolt was tightened down to allow the spacer to advance, as others have. I just sanded down the top of the rotor a few tenths of a mm. Others have looked for thinner washers to use as spacers. You want the rotor to be loose enough to advance but not so much space as to allow it to slip off of the advance unit.

Originally posted by GSOH View Post
            I'm anxiously awaiting my DS3-2 to come in the mail. Today I decided to take off the old ignitor and remove the signal generator as I understand it, the Dyna replaces all of this and I will no longer be needing it with the upgrade. Couple of things came up.

1) my bolt to hold the advancer and magnet it too short. Thinking I can just go get similar allen head bolt about 5/8" longer.

2) After I disconnected the signal generator, there are two plugs coming out of the ignitor box, one of which goes to the signal generator (black plug), the other (pink plug) going where I do not know. What do I do with the pink plug?

pix of plugs:

closeup of pink plug:

pix of ignitor box just in case anyone wants to see it:
            https://www.dropbox.com/sc/qqsuqv4koc5cmby/dJBWmATQbD

Comment

Originally posted by mike_of_bbg View Post
              Your bolt is too short? Did you get your new rotor already? It should not be tight against the rotor. I found that the Dyna rotor and the included spacer was a bit too tall if the bolt was tightened down to allow the spacer to advance, as others have. I just sanded down the top of the rotor a few tenths of a mm. Others have looked for thinner washers to use as spacers. You want the rotor to be loose enough to advance but not so much space as to allow it to slip off of the advance unit.
              This is what my advancer (right) looks like & mechanical advancer my buddy gave me (left) to change over to for dyna S ignition. It seems to fit slot. This will work, no?

Comment

Another view of advancers.

Comment

WOW!! This turned into one heck of a post. GSOH your mechanical advance will work and you'll be very pleased with the upgrade.

Last update on this one for me. Dyna was super quick with the out of warranty replacement and now I have a spare. They have changed the design, I noticed this on the new one and the replacement. The pickup housing is mich smaller, maybe to reduce heat mas??? Anyway this is what they look like now. Only time will tell how they hold up, good luck.

Comment

That's quite a design change on the power modules. The plate and wiring are the same.
                    http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by Rodman View Post
                      WOW!! This turned into one heck of a post. GSOH your mechanical advance will work and you'll be very pleased with the upgrade.

They have changed the design, I noticed this on the new one and the replacement. The pickup housing is much smaller, maybe to reduce heat mas??? Anyway this is what they look like now. Only time will tell how they hold up, good luck.
                      Dyna S installed today. HUGe noticeable difference from initial fire up. Mine looks like the one you posted so they must have changed their pickup design.

BUT float needles, never once doing this, are sticking & I had fuel coming out near all four air box boot ports! WTF is that? I'm trying to help the bike here. Perhaps its something else? Jeez...

Comment

Those are the regulator wires and Yes they should be fixed. But you should contact Dyna about your problem

Comment

Working...
                        X