Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charging problem????

1979 Gs1000n
    Have lost the power to the headlamp and tail lamp,bulbs,fuse and switch OK.
    Charging test at 13.4 volts at 4000rpm, 12.3 at tickover,if the system is faulty can it cause the loss of power to the lights
    Last edited by Guest; 06-08-2013, 12:19 PM.

What bike/model/year?
    Since you have low charging output (even with headlight out ??), you should test things; head to this link to get started- others will add further directions; this is a common problem

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
      What bike/model/year?
      Since you have low charging output (even with headlight out ??), you should test things; head to this link to get started- others will add further directions; this is a common problem

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...ator_check.pdf
      Unfortunately Cliff's test ignores the battery which could be the issue and jumps right into testing the stator

Who knows???

Of the stator tests he is also ignoring the most important one which is to test from leg to ground with the engine at 5K RPM.

He does finally mention a good battery but no help on knowing if it is good or not and the first test could have easily failed due to a bad battery.
      Last edited by posplayr; 06-08-2013, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by paulstrees View Post
        1979 Gs1000n
        Have lost the power to the headlamp and tail lamp,bulbs,fuse and switch OK.
        Charging test at 13.4 volts at 4000rpm, 12.3 at tickover,if the system is faulty can it cause the loss of power to the lights
        Did you blow a fuse?

13.4 volts at 4K is low. You say 12.3 at tick over(????) so I'm guessing the battery is OK so you more than likely have dirty connections but again there are a lack of measurements.

Comment

Yeah,I was trying to get him started- lots of links related to charging, likely overwhelming to some. But this one should be better- you made it about as straightforward as possible!

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Not a charging problem?

Hi Paul,
            No doubt you have realised by now that the problem with your loss of lights is not related to the charging system, since they should work without the motor even running.
            I am still fixing electrical stuff on my 84 1150 (new stator and compufire RR for security, but previous 13+V charging kept it running fine). Cannot tell you specifically what is causing your loss of lights, but check power to switch,grounds and connections related to the lighting circuit. You will find links to some good wiring diagrams on this site, as well as some good advice, but I think someone missed it this time.
            Good luck

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. paulstrees,

Take off the tank and the seat. Carefully inspect all the wiring for loose grounds, bad connections, worn insulation, etc. Take out the headlight and check that wiring too. Clean all connectors and grounds. Check the "Simplify The Wiring Diagram" tip in the electrical section of my little website. It may help you trace down the problem. Check the fusebox itself for melted components or corroded connections. Take the fusebox off and check the back too. Have a "mega-welcome".

If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. In the links below you'll find maintenance lists, documentation, wiring diagrams, "how to" guides, vendor links, tips, tricks, and a whole lot of GS goodness. This is your "mega-welcome". Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

More links to helpful threads in the forum:
              Help! Your Bike Won't Start
              DON'T DO THESE THINGS
              Help! Your Bike Won't Run Well
              Oh God! Pods!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks for all your advice am now sorted,cracked/loose contact board in the handlebar switch

Comment

Working...
                X