front brake light switch issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

front brake light switch issues

Just bought a 83 GS1100ES. Rear brake light switch works fine. The front brake light switch is not working. Where do I start to diagnose this issue?

Help? and thanks in advance,
    Gary King

Start at the switch assembly under the front brake lever. It can be dissembled cleaned and dielectric grease applied, or it can be thrown away and replaced with a Banjo bolt pressure switch on the master cylinder. Personally I opted for the pressure switch, mine was worn too much to work reliably.
    http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Hi,

There's a front brake light switch repair guide on my little website. Basically just take it apart (carefully), clean it up, reassemble properly.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

They are the same as the clutch safety switch on many many models. Cheap to replace the entire assembly...like 10 or 12 bucks cheap.

Yours probably needs adjusted.

Loosen the two screws in the black cap and use a fine tip screw driver to slide the thin brown switch board toward the end of the bars. Snug the screwws once you get a response. If the brake stays lit once your snugged up, then reloosen and tinker till you find its "sweet spot".
        Last edited by chuck hahn; 06-14-2013, 09:53 AM.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by OldVet66 View Post
          Start at the switch assembly under the front brake lever. It can be dissembled cleaned and dielectric grease applied, or it can be thrown away and replaced with a Banjo bolt pressure switch on the master cylinder. Personally I opted for the pressure switch, mine was worn too much to work reliably.
          Do tell, where does one find that type of banjo bolt?
          sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
          1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Just reiterating but can't help it.
            the switches are a pain to repair ! I just did it yesterday
            check continuity by getting to the ends where they connect inside headlight
            see chuck hahns post to try first and for it's Important content..ie: if you need to resolder wires, the adjustable feature need survive...
            download pdf written by Mr Gravity Master from Bike Cliff's site here:

if you want to do it on the bike without removing Master cylinder,
            Place a white sheet on the ground to catch parts! Warning the little spring and especially copper contact can fly quite a ways... so best to take apart facing down.
            Now, to reassemble, you might find it easier to loosen the handlebar clamp of the Master cylinder and turn the assembly a bit.

Now, hunt up the banjo switch, because you will want it next time !

Comment

heres another way to catch the parts.

Tape a sandwich baggies on each siide of the switch..like to the swich box housing or whatever..as long as the switch itself is inside the bag. Now poke the screw driver thru the bag to take out the screws, cap, and the pin thing that contains the U shaped contact.

To hold it into the handle when reassembling, dab a spot of grease on the tip and stick it up inti the recess..it will stick there and not free fall back to the floor!!
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Z1 should have a banjo bolt pressure switch, and if it's not listed call them and they will cheerfully help. They were about the same price as a replacement plastic fiddly one when I had to replace mine due to the brittle plastic ears broke where the screws go through. Some have said that they don't like the lack of adjustability with the pressure switches, as in lighting the brake light with slight pressure but not actually braking. Yes a trade off, but you can just adjust the rear switch to do that if you want.

Comment

bridge out the 2 wires in the loom in the headlight bucket before attempting to strip the switch, this will prove that the wiring to the brake light from the front switch is working correctly
                  1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

switch

Thanks everyone. I will look into whether it is kicking power through the switch in the headlight and the lever. The pressure switch sounds like it may be the way to go. Hopefully bleeding the brakes back out won't be a PITA after adding the pressure switch. I have heard horror stories about bleeding the front with the anti dive etc.

Gary

Comment

Only because it's being talked about now, if I go to slimmed down handlebar controls with universal brake levers, will I need to go to a banjo switch or will I be able to use an electrical switch?

Comment

Originally posted by Hakamisu View Post
                        Only because it's being talked about now, if I go to slimmed down handlebar controls with universal brake levers, will I need to go to a banjo switch or will I be able to use an electrical switch?
                        depends if the universal brake lever comes with an electrical switch or not.....
                        1978 GS1085.

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                          depends if the universal brake lever comes with an electrical switch or not.....
                          Is there a better place to find ones that do. I was hoping to replace both my clutch and brake levers with just a plane lever and built in electrical switch, but I haven't had much luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Hakamisu View Post
                            Is there a better place to find ones that do. I was hoping to replace both my clutch and brake levers with just a plane lever and built in electrical switch, but I haven't had much luck.
                            what is wrong with the stock ones? they will still work with narrower handlebars....
                            1978 GS1085.

Comment

Working...
                            X