Starting issues..battery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
    16v and you might need a fire extinguisher handy........14.5v is max you want to see.
    I happen to agree with you, but there are some silly people that actually believe what Suzuki wrote in the manual.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by gk45011 View Post
      ..................... I own a multimeter myself and have never actually used it......
      Good opportunity to start using a meter. Can not really troubleshoot electrical problems too much with your sight, hearing, touch or smell.

You want to select DC Volts.
      (or maybe just Volts, some meters just have a setting for Volts and then it detects and displays if its AC or if its DC connected. But I suspect your Harbor Frienght meter will hav e selction for ACVolts or DCVolts).
      And maybe you have selction for 20 Volts DC and 200Volts DC (if digital. if analog maybe 50 or 150. I will assume its digital).
      Select the smallest range that will be large enough, such as the 20 VDC range cause are expecting 11 or 12 or 13 or 14. And when select the 20 will probably then display one decimal place so display, say, "12.3" instead of just "12". You could select the 200, and it would work, but probably not have the decimal place, just display "12".

Before trying to troubleshoot anything on the bike, first just get used to the meter. Best way is to just measure battery voltage, just to see the meter operate. And maybe so you are not even thinking of troubleshooting problem on your bike, maybe open hood on a car. Put Red lead (positive) on battery positive, and Black lead (negative) on battery negative. Try the 20VDC and the 200VDC range.
      Now red lead on battery +, and black lead to a ground such as some bolt head somewhere. Notice how it may be harder to get a good connection to the ground, like a bolt head or something, maybe have to scratch the meter lead into the surface to get connection. SO keep that in mind when using the meter and get reading of zero (or real low) volts, and try for a better connection of the meter leads before you say "no power here".

Now that have some experience with meter, can no longer say "have never used it".

WHen checking the charging system, can check it across the battery. Or if the battery is hard to get at, can do like Steve posted above from the manaul.

We could talk about if a GOOD charging voltage is 13.5volts or 14.0 volts or whatever. But for now were are just trying to see if charging system is working or not.

But to see if charging system is working at all:
      1- check battery voltage with engine off
      2- check with engine at idle (about same voltage or maybe even less than #1)
      3- check with engine at mid rpm like 4000-5000, voltage should be lot higher than #1 if the charging system is working at all, like mid to upper 13s or low 14s.
      If its about same as #2 then charging system not working at all.
      If it is only a little higher that #2, then charging system is working some, but has problems and you may get bye sometimes and maybe not get bye other times, and is going to completely fail soon, and the cause of this could be some bad connections that are melting your wiring in the meantime.
      If its way high, like 16 or 17 .... ..... well, that is not what you are experiencing, so we need not discuss that.

Again, it sounds to me like you have two different situations that need attention:
      - that battery seems run down after a while (this could be a charging problem, or a battery problem, or both)
      - sometimes everything dead, and then wiggle things and it is okay for a while (this is probably bad connection somewhere, somewhere in a wiring connection or maybe right inside fuse block.)

Each situation requires separate troubleshooting and fixing. Two separate different problems

Steve will get your troubleshooting effort going in right direction, I am sure.

One good thing about having an 70-80s Suzuki (rather than, say, a 70-80s Honda) is this web site forumn.
      One good thing about having an 70-80s Suzuki on Cinci-Dayton area is Steve (and others).

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      ............ there are some silly people that actually believe what Suzuki wrote in the manual.
      Yah, I haven't known a stock charging system to make anything over 14, or close to 14 for that matter.
      Yah, And that statement of ".... R/R may be faulty" is quite general. Could be many other causes.

Last edited by Redman; 06-15-2013, 03:50 PM.
      http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
      Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        I happen to agree with you, but there are some silly people that actually believe what Suzuki wrote in the manual.

15.5 Volts can only be an absolute maximum with a fully charged battery, cold bike at maximum RPM and a loosey goosy R/R

As a general rule you should not see much if anything over 14.5V unless you still have one of the old OE R/R's that only regulate on one SCR/stator let.
        Some of the modern R/R's seem to be spec'ed to regulate at 14.25 (nominal).

That is why in the "Quick Test", I list 14.0-15.0V at the top RPM. Even at 15.0V I would be worried about overcharging.

5.) at 5000 rpm.....14.0 -15.0 volts
        I also think that Suzuki, was barely cutting their teeth on charging systems back when that manual was written. (not necessarily the best source of information these days).
        Last edited by posplayr; 06-15-2013, 03:32 PM.

Comment

battery

I went and bought a replacement battery and gave it charging now. As of tius morning it would not even click the starter. I pulled the battery and the levels were all way low.i figured that a new battery just takes that issue out of the equation.Hopefully steve can swing by tomorrow and give me hands on mutimeter example. Redman i will try what you told me it was a great rundown.
          When removing the battery the conmections were crappy. Also attatched to the positive post was a green wire with a blue stripe.this wire was clamped in but had a resistor attatched. What is this wire?
          Tomorrow battery will be charged so reassembly can start.

Gary

Comment

I went and bought a replacement battery and gave it charging now. As of tius morning it would not even click the starter. I pulled the battery and the levels were all way low.i figured that a new battery just takes that issue out of the equation.Hopefully steve can swing by tomorrow and give me hands on mutimeter example. Redman i will try what you told me it was a great rundown.
            When removing the battery the conmections were crappy. Also attatched to the positive post was a green wire with a blue stripe.this wire was clamped in but had a resistor attatched. What is this wire?
            Tomorrow battery will be charged so reassembly can start.

Gary
            That Green/Blue wire is usually the Battery Sense wire. I only thought they were on Bigger CC bikes. If you don't have a battery with sensor, then tie it to the positive post to keep the idiot light off.

Comment

I will get you one tuesday if not in stock ill get it orderd and put a rush on it and again im sorry if I wouldve fixed before I sold it

Comment

Its been a rough week just adds power to the course but I will get you handled.

Comment

battery

Originally posted by jmains View Post
                  Its been a rough week just adds power to the course but I will get you handled.
                  john,
                  I appreciate you stepping up on this. As discussed that is a truly classy thing to do. I will contact you Tuesday to see where we stand on the replacement. I know all about the problems just compounding one after the other.

Steve, I can't thank you enough for coming over a helping decipher my issues. I will let you know as soon as john gets me an ETA on the REG/REC for planning. It was a pleasure to meet you, hopefully the next time I need help after this I will ride to you rather than you coming down ro visit me. I wish I had half the knowledge of these machines as you do, But hey I am learning, and I learned a lot today.

Gary

Comment

john,
                    I appreciate you stepping up on this. As discussed that is a truly classy thing to do. I will contact you Tuesday to see where we stand on the replacement. I know all about the problems just compounding one after the other.

Steve, I can't thank you enough for coming over a helping decipher my issues. I will let you know as soon as john gets me an ETA on the REG/REC for planning. It was a pleasure to meet you, hopefully the next time I need help after this I will ride to you rather than you coming down ro visit me. I wish I had half the knowledge of these machines as you do, But hey I am learning, and I learned a lot today.

Gary
                    Excellent on both accounts! People helping people! Good on you John & Steve.

Gary, I am jealous that you have a wealth of knowledge like Steve locally available to you and I don't

Comment

wealth of knowledge

Originally posted by nejeff View Post
                      Excellent on both accounts! People helping people! Good on you John & Steve.

Gary, I am jealous that you have a wealth of knowledge like Steve locally available to you and I don't
                      Steve was quick to offer to come help, as well as to come back and ensure it is charging properly when the part comes in. A truly stand up huy with a ton of knowledge to give.

Gary

Comment

Starting issues.

Have you discovered the problem yet. It seems to me that if you put a new, charged battery in and didn't get any response that it would be a problem with the starter motor or starter relay. The thread leaves some info out as it seems Steve is close enough to stop by and help troubleshoot. You may have already sorted this out. I just bought a used 1982 GS1100G and it was working fine. I was on my way to the safety inspection station and turned it off. It wouldn't start again. The + battery terminal was a bit corroded so I cleaned it off but it still wouldn't crank though the battery wires got very hot. Starter relay checks good so I'm thinking either the brushes are worn out or the armature is bad. Seems to be some oil around the starter motor so the seal might have leaked and let oil in the armature. Looking at $500 USD for a new starter. Anyway, if you haven't done it yet, check your starter circuit. Best of Luck to you.

Comment

battery

Originally posted by hjc4604 View Post
                          Have you discovered the problem yet. It seems to me that if you put a new, charged battery in and didn't get any response that it would be a problem with the starter motor or starter relay. The thread leaves some info out as it seems Steve is close enough to stop by and help troubleshoot. You may have already sorted this out. I just bought a used 1982 GS1100G and it was working fine. I was on my way to the safety inspection station and turned it off. It wouldn't start again. The + battery terminal was a bit corroded so I cleaned it off but it still wouldn't crank though the battery wires got very hot. Starter relay checks good so I'm thinking either the brushes are worn out or the armature is bad. Seems to be some oil around the starter motor so the seal might have leaked and let oil in the armature. Looking at $500 USD for a new starter. Anyway, if you haven't done it yet, check your starter circuit. Best of Luck to you.
                          Steve stopped by. It cranked over no issue with the new battery. The Stator is putting out at spec as it should. When Steve made it to the reg/rec check part failed the test. Now that i know what the issue was Jmaines has a new one on order for me (stand up guy). It should be here tomorrow and fix the charging problem. Then it is on to the next issue to fix.

Gary

Comment

current issue solved

Jmains dropped off to me a brand new Ricks Electric Reg/Rec today. Truly a stand up guy who went above and beyond to make sure I left the purchase with a smile.

Steve the electrical guru came over tonight and helped get the bike running and charging. After about 4 hours the bike was charging, new turns were working, voltmeter was hooked up and functioning as it should, front brake switch cleaned and working,wiring issues corrected here and there on the bike, and bike was reassembled back to a rideable state.

I can't say enough positive things about the work Steve put in for me. I owe this man huge for the work, knowledge, and help and friendship. Next trip I'll come up and check out you and your sons bike. I at least owe you lunch or dinner.

One to the next issue. Thanks to everyone for their help!

Gary
                            Last edited by Guest; 06-20-2013, 11:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X