Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gs 850 gt

Hi all,

First time posting. A newbie to this forum and I have been reading a lot and not contributing much, so take it easy on me.

I own (and have owned a 1980 GS 850GT since it was new. Not too many miles on her (35k). Parked it 20 years ago when I got married. Always garaged, so the rust was minimal, but nonetheless, she needs a going through.

About a month ago, I removed the battery enclosure and the electric panel attached to its side to sandblast and repaint. Easy enough was the disassembly and things at the time seemed pretty straightforward. Upon reassembly, I didn't have too much of a problem (at least I think), but I am left wondering where to attach 2 wires coming out of the harness near where the fuel indicator wires come out of the loom as well. (see first picture). The shop service manual has great wiring diagrams, but is really not much help in this case. From what I have read here, I am pretty sure these are ground wires, one of which goes to ground the starter relay as I bolt it in place. The other, no idea.

If anyone has a comparable pic of their electrical panel, that would be great as well. There are a couple of clips on the panel that hold in place the loose wires, and I would like to tuck them away properly.

Thanks,

Black and white wires are always ground wires on a GS.

In the second picture, it's not real obvious what you are trying to point out, but I do see a ground wire coming off the right bolt of the solenoid. There is also another apparent ground wire off the lower mounting bolt for the fuse panel. One, or both, of those wires need to go to the battery. It's possible that the lower one might be the ground wire from the R/R, which is mounted below the battery box. In that case, make SURE that the upper wire goes to the battery to ground the R/R.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Gs 850gt

Thanks for the reply Steve.

Yes the second picture just shows that I connected the longer of the two ground wires to starter relay. I will try to use the shorter to go to the relay (the longer barely reached it!) and see if the longer can reach the rectifier. I don't see how the shorter of the two can connect to the rectifier on the bottom of the battery box, but I will be sure to dedicate a separate ground to it. I have read on the forums of the deficiency in grounding in general on these bikes. Also, that it is not a bad idea to dedicate a ground to every electrical component on the panel.

Thanks again.

Comment

One ground for the entire panel is sufficient, as long as it's proper-sized wire. If the starter solenoid works, there is likely a ground, but there is no guarantee that it is large enough for the R/R to do its job properly. Most of the time, the R/R has a ground wire that goes to that panel, when then relies on the solenoid ground. It is better to add a wire from the bolt where the R/R is grounded to the battery, and some feel it is even better to cut that wire and just extend that R/R ground wire straight to the battery to eliminate ANY extra connections in the wire.

sigpic
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Gs 850gt

Since this post I have continued to read other posts in the electrical ignition forum. One thought that occurred to me is maybe I have not connected the other grounds correctly.
          When I reassembled, the heavy gauge wire from the back center of the engine was connected to the ground side of fuse box. The lighter gauge ground from the right back of the engine goes to the negative side of the battery. I don't recall any other ground wires connecting to the negative side of the battery.

Comment

The heavy wire from the back of the engine HAS to go straight to the battery.

That is the ground wire for the starter. Forcing all that current through a lesser wire is just begging for a fireworks show.

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride

Comment

Gs 850gt

Steve,
              Just to be clear, there are TWO ground wires from the back of the engine.
              They are both heavy gauge, although the heavier of the two is from the back center of the engine and clearly has a ring terminal on the end which to me is designed to ground under a bolt. The slightly lesser gauge wire has a heavy Battery terminal connector (still attached) that was connected to the battery before. Just checking because I do not want to become another sob story. These grounds are OE. I have not mucked with them. I appreciate your cautionary warning.

Comment

GS 850Gt

I have attached pics of the two grounds that come from the engine.
                The first is a ring clip that I have going to the fuse box ground side. The wire is heavier gauge that the second (not by much). The second is connected the negative side of the battery.

Comment

Don't worry about it. Suzuki didn't. If you ground it exactly the way the factory did, it would be marginal. Ground it somewhere, then ad a couple jumpers to the frame and battery from the factory grounds, particularly the solenoid mounting bolt.
                  sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Ok, I will run another wire from engine to R/R.
                    Any idea on the gauge I should source?

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                    X