1983 GS1100G battery not charging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 GS1100G battery not charging

G'day, I took possession of my lovely GS1100 about 4 weeks ago and have been riding it round the place and really enjoying it. I noticed a few weeks ago that the bike wouldn't start and the battery discharged fairly quickly. I jump started it and got it home and put it on the battery charger. It drove OK for a few more days then I had the same problem. I ditched the battery and she has a new one but it has done the same thing.
    I am currently charging the battery and in the mean time I pulled the regulator rectifier from under the battery box to check out the connections,so far all the connections I have looked at have been squeeky clean.
    I have checked the 3 wires from the alternator and there is about 1.1 ohms to earth on each wire I have no idea if this is the correct measurement the manual says to check the alternator to unplug the wires and test for AC voltage of about 75v while the bike is running. I will do that later on today once the battery is charged.
    I have read several posts about the troublesome charging on the GS bikes trying to find out if the most likely cause is the R/R or the alternator, any ideas? regards Neil
    PS so I have confirmed that each leg of the stator measures 0.7 ohms to earth that is taking into account that the leads of the multimeter are 0.3 ohms so it looks like the stator has had it which are the recommended replacements, obviously not Suzuki
    Last edited by Guest; 06-17-2013, 09:01 PM. Reason: More information

Originally posted by 3 Cav View Post
    G'day, I took possession of my lovely GS1100 about 4 weeks ago and have been riding it round the place and really enjoying it. I noticed a few weeks ago that the bike wouldn't start and the battery discharged fairly quickly. I jump started it and got it home and put it on the battery charger. It drove OK for a few more days then I had the same problem. I ditched the battery and she has a new one but it has done the same thing.
    I am currently charging the battery and in the mean time I pulled the regulator rectifier from under the battery box to check out the connections,so far all the connections I have looked at have been squeeky clean.
    I have checked the 3 wires from the alternator and there is about 1.1 ohms to earth on each wire I have no idea if this is the correct measurement the manual says to check the alternator to unplug the wires and test for AC voltage of about 75v while the bike is running. I will do that later on today once the battery is charged.
    I have read several posts about the troublesome charging on the GS bikes trying to find out if the most likely cause is the R/R or the alternator, any ideas? regards Neil
    Do a Quick Test to get started. (see the link in my signature)

If you are going to test the stator already, run it at 5000 rpm and test leg to leg voltages (75 VAC) and leg to ground voltages (0 VAC).

Comment

Ps what is the flat black box up against the battery with the printed circuit board inside, can these be a cause of trouble

Comment

Ignitor and the bike needs it to fire the coils

Comment

I just measured resistance of the 3 leads from the stator to earth all of them under 1 ohm, so what is the recommended replacement for the Suzuki one.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Cav View Post
            I just measured resistance of the 3 leads from the stator to earth all of them under 1 ohm, so what is the recommended replacement for the Suzuki one.
            SH-775 R/R and a Electrosport stator. If you don't get the SH-775 then buy a ricks stator.

Comment

Working...
            X