Modified the stator test chart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Modified the stator test chart

Hey guys, my first post here, I recently bought a non running 82 GS550L, original engine lost compression, swapped with a running one, now just scavenging parts from ebay. I will be doing a stator test today, went through the stator papers, lots of info, but the flow chart gave me a headache, because I'm paranoid like that. Didn't change any info, just taken some words out like "less than" to "<" etc. I've printed it in one 11x17 piece of paper and looks neat enough for me to hang on my garage, I would if I had one.

Thanks for all the useful info here.

Your file didn't open for me but my computer is picky. The stator papers, along with all the charging system tests, are designed to pinpoint any flaws in the charging system in a step by step process rather than leaping to conclusions. If you follow the testing and report your results, plenty of folks here will offer guidance.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by ya_mean View Post
      Hey guys, my first post here, I recently bought a non running 82 GS550L, original engine lost compression, swapped with a running one, now just scavenging parts from ebay. I will be doing a stator test today, went through the stator papers, lots of info, but the flow chart gave me a headache, because I'm paranoid like that. Didn't change any info, just taken some words out like "less than" to "<" etc. I've printed it in one 11x17 piece of paper and looks neat enough for me to hang on my garage, I would if I had one.

Thanks for all the useful info here.
      I have revised both Phase A and Phase B tests; see GS charging Health.

[
      B]Link to Revised PHASE A of Stator Pages: [/B]

A revised test is at this link; The actual test is on Page 6 of 9. We added the leg to ground AC voltage test as this helps isolate insulation breakdowns to ground using the relatively high 60-80 VAC stator voltage when it is open loop.

Link to Revised PHASE B of Stator Pages with discussion of testing methods:
      http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/3977...4-pm-649k?da=y
      It should all be integrated. A larger font would help yours, I think you need to add some flowchart arrows to make it clear what the procedure is.
      Last edited by posplayr; 06-18-2013, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X