Headlight out 1150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headlight out 1150

Worked fine before I removed the engine for tranny work. Swapped engines covered in another thread and now the headlight doesn't work.
    Read something about the oil pickup under the carbs which is still hooked.
    I don't need the headlight for the track day on Sunday, but I wanted to do a shakedown run, making sure all is well.

83 Kat wiring harness, 84 1150 engine. Tried 2 bulbs, nothing, changed fuse nothing.

Pretty much useless with a multimeter, even after all of Earlfor's efforts to help me in the past.

I had 13V at the battery last night key off. Key on the volts start dropping. Bike starts, neutral light works, signals work, tail light, brake light work, just no headlight.
    All my dash lights burned out long ago, and there really isn't much on a Kat dash anyway. Any wires to check or troubleshooting to offer out there? Thanks.
    GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Originally posted by Carter Turk View Post
    Pretty much useless with a multimeter, even after all of Earlfor's efforts to help me in the past.
    Sounds like your options are rather limited, then.

1. Get proficient with a voltmeter. (It's not all that hard.)
    2. Get a test light. Simple to use. Clip wire to ground, touch point to connection in question. Light or no light?
    3. Sell the bike, because you will need to do one of the first two options if you keep it.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks for the help steve, I'm closer now to solving the problem.
      GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

With either the voltmeter or the test light, you should be able to see whether you have power at the LIGHTS fuse.
        The fuse might appear to be good, but they can fail under the cap, where you can't see.
        A meter or a light will tell you intantly if you have power. You should also check both sides of the fuse, just to be sure.

If you have power at the fuse, there is another connector inline before you get to the headlight beam selector switch.
        Verify power at the connector. Verify power after the beam selector switch. Verify power at the headlight connector.

If you have power at the headlight connector and the light still does not work, verify that the bulb itself is still good.
        If the bulb checks out, put it into the socket, put your meter or test light on the ground wire.
        If you see power there, you have a bad ground for the headlight.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Disconnected bullet connector was it, hiding behind the frame tube behind the coils.

I had to do a little cleaning on the bike elsewhere, to find the motivation to pull tank, fairing and side panels off again, as in my haste to go for a test ride the other night, I missed this one connector.

Comment

Working...
          X