Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charging help please

Hi guys, just signed up here.

I'm having issues with my recently purchased 1980 gs250. It came with a charging issue and a new replacement regulator....I replaced the reg and wasn't surprised it didn't charge. So i ordered a stator from db electrical, it charged my new battery to 13.7 and rode nice for a week, then left me pushing it home with a dead battery. I checked the output and had nothing on one lead and continuity to ground. I just got my warranty unit installed checked for continuity before in stalling, no reading. Installed the unit on my fully charged new battery and fired it up. 1 lead puts out 10vac and the others 0 and has continuity to ground. Am i just that unlucky that id get 2 bad units? I printed out the pages that help u check the charging system.... The a,b,c,d of possibilities. Everything points to the stator. Is there a way to check the ohms of the reg to tell if its shot? I believe both of mine measure about 350-500 ohms across the leads.

any advice would be be greatly appreciated
    Thanks

Originally posted by BLOODYD View Post
    Hi guys, just signed up here.

I'm having issues with my recently purchased 1980 gs250. It came with a charging issue and a new replacement regulator....I replaced the reg and wasn't surprised it didn't charge. So i ordered a stator from db electrical, it charged my new battery to 13.7 and rode nice for a week, then left me pushing it home with a dead battery. I checked the output and had nothing on one lead and continuity to ground. I just got my warranty unit installed checked for continuity before in stalling, no reading. Installed the unit on my fully charged new battery and fired it up. 1 lead puts out 10vac and the others 0 and has continuity to ground. Am i just that unlucky that id get 2 bad units? I printed out the pages that help u check the charging system.... The a,b,c,d of possibilities. Everything points to the stator. Is there a way to check the ohms of the reg to tell if its shot? I believe both of mine measure about 350-500 ohms across the leads.

any advice would be be greatly appreciated
    Thanks
    If you know you are not charging you best bet is to run the Revised Phase B stator pages. Make sure to test leg-to-leg(should read 60-80VAC) and leg-to-ground(should read ZERO) at 5K rpm and see how you do.

A revised test is at this link; The actual test is on Page 6 of 9. We added the leg to ground AC voltage test as this helps isolate insulation breakdowns to ground using the relatively high 60-80 VAC stator voltage when it is open loop.

Link to Revised PHASE B of Stator Pages with discussion of testing methods:
    http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/3977...4-pm-649k?da=y

Comment

Firstly, welcome! Post up a g'day thread in the owners section so BassCliff can give you your mega welcome... well worth it!

In the meantime, the stator papers may help you out...

http://www.thegsresources.com/garage/gs_statorfault.htm
      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

before leaving work i ran the bike with unplugged the stator leads to check voltage. 0.00 across the 3. what would wipe out my unit so fast? it has continuity to ground after bolted to the engine and ran. i checked before installing and had no reading, the wires are tucked any from moving parts and the old unit i have dont have any tears or marks in the loom.

Comment

I know you said you've replaced the regulator, but a dodgy regulator/rectifier can kill the stator, but usually not real quick... I think it's more a heat issue so probably would take some time.

Jim's a lot more proficient on this sort of stuff than me

However, I'd be making sure none of the mounting screws are interfering with the coils or anything.

Also, have you modified the wiring so that the stator goes direct to the R/R without going through the headlight etc.? Maybe something's not right there and it's shorting the stator out to ground when it's plugged into the harness?
          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Do your replacement stators have same number of "poles" as the original? 18? What brand of R/R and is it new?
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

before leaving work i ran the bike with unplugged the stator leads to check voltage. 0.00 across the 3. what would wipe out my unit so fast? it has continuity to ground after bolted to the engine and ran. i checked before installing and had no reading, the wires are tucked any from moving parts and the old unit i have dont have any tears or marks in the loom.
              Sounds like there is some mechanical interference and you shorted/geounded out the stator leads working through the starter cavity. Double check your measurements by first measuring 120v ac from an electrical outlet; if all is ok double check the ac output. If still an issue you will have to pull the stator cover to investigate.

Comment

I checked both the og and first replacement stators for a tear in the insulation, didnt see anything . Wires run thru the grove in the case and are fastened by the hold downs. Im gonna pull it apart again later today or tmrw.

The reg/rec that came with the bike was a rick's brand. The stators are db electrical.

I checked output with the stator leads open and have ground on one wire but continuity between the 3. 0.01 between the 3 feilds. Though before bolting to the motor i had No continuity to ground. I guess later when i pop the cover of ill have to recheck to see if it still has continuity.

Any links to a wiring diagram? Suzuki didnt have a manual in stock and wanted to charge me $10 bucks for shipping on top of the book.

Thanks again.

Comment

I checked both the og and first replacement stators for a tear in the insulation, didnt see anything . Wires run thru the grove in the case and are fastened by the hold downs. Im gonna pull it apart again later today or tmrw.

The reg/rec that came with the bike was a rick's brand. The stators are db electrical.

I checked output with the stator leads open and have ground on one wire but continuity between the 3. 0.01 between the 3 feilds. Though before bolting to the motor i had No continuity to ground. I guess later when i pop the cover of ill have to recheck to see if it still has continuity.

Any links to a wiring diagram? Suzuki didnt have a manual in stock and wanted to charge me $10 bucks for shipping on top of the book.

Thanks again.
                  Go to Basscliff's website he has several hosted for free download. Put your bike into your signature.

Comment

thanks i printed the pages i need to check. updated my sig not sure if it shows up though

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. BLOODYD,

There is LOTS of information in the links below. It's your "mega-welcome". Use it wisely.

If you are here you probably have a 30 year old motorcycle that needs about 20 years worth of maintenance. In the links below you'll find maintenance lists, documentation, wiring diagrams, "how to" guides, vendor links, tips, tricks, and a whole lot of GS goodness. This is your "mega-welcome". Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please Click Here For Your Mega-Welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

More links to helpful threads in the forum:
                      Help! Your Bike Won't Start
                      DON'T DO THESE THINGS
                      Help! Your Bike Won't Run Well
                      Oh God! Pods!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                      X