No announcement yet.

3ohm green coils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the information KK. I didn't know that about the 7mm wires. My understanding was they (suppression caps) were not needed on these bikes, and everything required came with the 7mm wires.

Does that only apply to bikes running the Dyna S ignition?
    '83 GS650G
    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Dyna sells both suppression and copper core wires in the 7mm size. The one you pointed to had copper core, which require the ceramic resistance caps. For my money, the caps are a waste of money when you can purchase the same diameter wires with suppression wire, thus eliminating the need for the special caps. If you parse through the threads in the electrical section, one of the first things we tell folk with copper core wires is to trim back a bit of the wire because they tend to oxidize over time. The suppression wires eliminate this possible point of failure.

Comment

That makes sense. I'll have to look back at my orders from Z1 as I must have bought the suppression wires...on your previous advice, KK.
        '83 GS650G

Comment

Thank you for the info. I will get me a set.

Comment

There ain't no free lunch, though; suppression wires with a cheapskate graphite core are much more prone to internal failure and many auto makers recommend they be replaced every two to three years as a service item. Having been let down in the past by graphite-cored HT leads, I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole.
            If you really want to be relatively immune, go for double-wound wire core, silicone insulated. I fitted these recently and was slightly sceptical of the inbuilt low resistance (about 200 ohms per foot, iirc) being sufficient suppression for RF. It seemed to be, as when I had the bike running, there was no workshop radio pickup, but I wasn't really looking for that, being busy with the bike. Even if it was insufficient, there was also the possibility of retro-fitting with NGK suppressive caps or resistive plugs if I had to.
            Last edited by Grimly; 07-16-2014, 03:22 AM.
            ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Then there's Taylor leads which are very popular on our side of the pond
              Taylor believes in making quality spark plug wires that function in race and street conditions so you can rely on them when you need them

Comment

Another thing to consider is this:
                Those expensive ceramic caps are really there to suppress EMI. That is, so your bike's sparks do not interfere with radios and stuff. The best way to go is copper wires with straight caps, and to heck with the EMI.
                My Accel coil kit came with quality suppression wires, and I never had any issue with them. Cheap wires, sure. Quality wires, well, that is what your automobile came with. When is the last time you changed plug wires on your car?

Comment

This is the stuff I used but mine came in a ready-made set as NOS designated for a fork truck, at likely some outrageous price originally.
                  I'm quite happy with it, and given the hassle I had trying to find ordinary HT lead locally, I think I'll just order more of this stuff online for the other bikes.

The Delphi-Packard info..
                  ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

When wiring these Dyna coils on an 1980+ year bike, are they just plug and play or do you need to add a relay?

Comment

Originally posted by Weeksz View Post
                      When wiring these Dyna coils on an 1980+ year bike, are they just plug and play or do you need to add a relay?
                      In reality, a relay is more of a workaround when you are seeing voltage drops from battery to coil. You do not NEED a relay, but the coils are not simply plug and play. You might have to rig up new terminals and/or modify the way you mount them to the frame, as they do not necessarily perfectly line up to the brackets.
                      '83 GS650G

Comment

My old coil had spade plug in for the wires, the dynatek has small screws.You will need new wires or at least new ends for them to fit on the coil. I had to grind away part of the old mount to get them to fit.

Comment

The copper-core wires from Z1 are great. But if you want colored copper-core wires (Blue, Red or Yellow) I use these VW spark plug wires: http://www.mamotorworks.com/VW/product/301104 These are a little different than the ones I bought years ago, as mine don't have the red ends. But the coil ends fit directly into Dyna coils.

Comment

Working...
                          X