Bad battery after ~3 months?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad battery after ~3 months?

I recently replaced the battery with a $99 battery from Advanced Discount Auto Parts about 3 months ago.

It's been raining here and unfortunately I'm in between motorcycle covers (I need to replace the one I have) so it's been out in the elements for longer than I would like (couple weeks) in the off and on rain, but not without use for longer than a day.

I noticed yesterday that the bike was really sluggish to start when, just not too long ago, it would start right up on the first crank. And by "not too long ago" i mean <a week ago. I remember leaving from work one day and it would crank and crank without starting cause it was kind of weak and I even got a backfire out of it.

What would the cause be?

Thanks

Lack of proper charging.

Any batt will die from irregular use.
    Charge it then drive the **** outta the bike
    then if you have probs its likely in the charging system itself.

Comment

How do I charge it?
      Do they sell chargers similar to car chargers? I know you're not supposed to use a car charger on a bike or jump with a car battery so I assume they sell chargers for them?

Now that I think of it, my roommate has a trickle charger for his bike at a storage shed he rents, I may try to charge it with that.

How can I check the charging system on the bike if it's damaged or not working and if it is, what can I do to fix\replace it?

Btw, thanks for that near instant response! Love this forum for the high activity!

Comment

Check your charging system. Most likely it ain't work'n.

Search "stator papers" for info on how to do it.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Use your mates trickle charger
          go on the basis of the am hour rating of the batter.
          Mine is 10 AH so 10 hours at 1 amp should equal a fully charged battery.

Aftet charging the battery all alone an not hooked up
          attache all the essential then start her up

refer to the manual for you bike but it should produce 13 ish volts

a lot of batteries die becasue drivers pussyfoot at low rpms while driving which depletes a battery if the revs are low enough to be beneath the given charging systems break even point.

Refer to the Mega welcome for more and better details.

Comment

Originally posted by incarceration View Post

How can I check the charging system on the bike if it's damaged or not working and if it is, what can I do to fix\replace it?
            Ya gotta have a volt meter. Set on the DC scale. After you charge your battery it should read about 12vdc (bike not running, key off). 14vdc (bike running over 2k rpm).
            Meter leads - Red + battery term. Black - battery terminal.
            82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

If you are riding it more than once a month or so, you shouldn't ever need a charger.

Fix the charging system.
              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

This?

I do mostly around town driving from 4-7k RPMs is that "pussy footing"? Lol

Which, btw, once I get to around 6-7k RPM the tach tends to wobble back and forth between the 6 and 7 and if it's really revved up it'll go to 8k, not sure if that's normal and I'm just not used to it or what. I can create another thread and make a video of it if necessary.

Anyway, back to the original issue.

I will ask my roommate tomorrow if I can borrow his and see what he says. You say I should let it charge for 10hrs? I'm still able to use the bike and start it sometimes. I drove it around for a couple hours today. It's just, the other day at work, I was kinda stuck for about 10min trying to get it to start; I almost ran it down a hill to jump start it lol

Again, thanks for all the quick responses! I will check back tomorrow after work and\or after I charge it with my roommate's trickle charger

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                  If you are riding it more than once a month or so, you shouldn't ever need a charger.

Fix the charging system.
                  Yeah,I use it like every day or every other day. Does leaving it out in the rain lately cause this? Or age?

Comment

Out in the rain has no effect. Cold warm, indoors or outdoors, day or night does not matter. 2,000 RPM or 9,000, it's all the same. If it's not charging correctly, it's not charging correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
                      Ya gotta have a volt meter. Set on the DC scale. After you charge your battery it should read about 12vdc (bike not running, key off). 14vdc (bike running over 2k rpm).
                      Meter leads - Red + battery term. Black - battery terminal.
                      I have a DMM and various other electrical equipment
                      Shouldn't be too much of a stretch if I know what to check; and that stator papers page seems to be a good start.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                        Or you coud fix the charging system and never have another problem.
                        I ride it every day or every other day (if it's raining), could it being out in the rain cause this? Or is it age?

Comment

No, it's a nonfunctional charging system.

Comment

Unless you are not running high enough res and you have a fully charged battery to start with then its most likely the dreaded Suzuki charging woes.

Comment

Hi,

You'll find lots of stator and r/r testing and replacement procedures on my little website, both on the main page and in the electrical section page. Start with the Stator Papers and then go through the additional documentation to get a thorough understanding of the processes and procedures involved.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                              X