82 550 ignitor compared to 85 ignitor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 550 ignitor compared to 85 ignitor

I wired up my bike today, and went to fire it up, but it just cranks over. it has great spark but wont run.. I used the stock 82 ignitor with the 85 ignition and generator, does that matter or will I need to splice in the 85 550s ignitor?

I got both wiring diagrams but just not sure how I would wire the other ignitor into the 82 Katana harness.

So the ignitor from 82 needs the mechanical advance unit, while the 85 has advance built into ignitor itself- I'm not sure how you mix and matched them,so please explain again.
    Got good spark (at about right time), how about fuel in carb bowls? after cranking, are spark plugs slightly wet?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I just plugged in the connectors from the 85 into the 82 harness, just changed the end from the 85 igniton to clip into the katana ignitor.

there is fuel, but it ive always had problems with these carbs even after new orings. a friend has a set of carbs for me to try so I will trey those tomorrow. I sprayed fuel into the carbs and it fired up,, so it has to be gas problem. I will post my results when I get it running, thanx a lot

Rick

edit: if I had to could I use the 82 ignition instead of splicing the ignitor harness and figuring how to get that working?
      Last edited by Guest; 06-30-2013, 04:17 PM.

Comment

you did do a full strip and dip of the carbs right ? all new O rings installed ? float level checked ? and so on ?

or did you just spray some carb cleaner here and there and you are hoping for the best ?

Comment

yeah I soaked them for a few days, cleaned out all passages,etc... it ran great right after new orings, but always had problems afterwards. they did look modified inside by previous owner so something must be messed up with them. I will try the other set of carbs.

all new orings, even intake boots,, and got them from cycle orings.

Comment

Originally posted by dark7068 View Post
            yeah I soaked them for a few days, cleaned out all passages,etc... it ran great right after new orings, but always had problems afterwards. they did look modified inside by previous owner so something must be messed up with them. I will try the other set of carbs.

all new orings, even intake boots,, and got them from cycle orings.
            excellent.....glad to hear all the right steps were taken,,,,bummer they are being a pain though....

enough fuel in the tank, petcock is working, try starting it with the petcock on prime..

Comment

yeah,, I tried half tank, no tank, vac tube plugged, spraying in fuel and it kicks but doesn't stay running. always had problems with these carbs so next step in new carbs. I will report my results tomorrow

thanx.

Comment

sparkking 180 degrees out of phase?
                the ignition curve would also be different.

Comment

could I bolt on the katana ignition and use that and the stock ignitor? easier then rewiring the 85 ignitor to the katana harness?

Comment

Working...
                  X