difference between ignitors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

difference between ignitors

I put my 85 550 motor in my 82 Katana, and wandering if I could just swap in the signal generator from the Katana 550 into the 85 motor instead of butchering my Katana harness to get the proper timing? Also is the R/R the same between the 2 or does that need rewiring as well.

or am I stuck with splicing the harness and wiring in the 85 ignitor.

why have you started a new thread when you already have one going regarding the exact same subject?

1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Some time during the '82 model year, some of the models switched from mechanical ignition advance to electronic in the ignigor.

Check to see if your '82 bike still has a mechanical ignition advance on the end of the crank.

If it does, you will have to disable it to use the new ignitor.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
        why have you started a new thread when you already have one going regarding the exact same subject?

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=210587

cuz you didn't answer the first one

Comment

Originally posted by dark7068 View Post
          cuz you didn't answer the first one
          so if you dont get an answer to a thread straight away then you will post multiple threads exactly the same until you do get an answer?

never thought that the person who may have the answer hasn't seen the thread yet?
          1978 GS1085.

Comment

sorry, you obviously don't have an answer, just feel like ****ing on someone tonite, sorry to bother you. wont happen again

Comment

sorry, you obviously don't have an answer, just feel like ****ing on someone tonite, sorry to bother you. wont happen again
              dont bother me at all mate, i think its quite humorous actually
              1978 GS1085.

Comment

now that is out of the way..

I wired in my 85s ignitor, and I get NO spark (but I did get spark just wiring up the 85 motor to the 82s ignitor but wouldn't run). will I need to wire in the 85s R/R as well? the 85s ignitor has 1 wire that goes into the R/R according to my wiring diagram (havent done it yet), would that be the reason for no spark at the plugs or my ignitor toast. It has had problems starting before which I thought was ignitor but after awhile it would fire and run half the time and have decent idle,but would not rev though.
                Last edited by Guest; 07-01-2013, 03:34 PM.

Comment

I wired in my 85s ignitor, and I get NO spark (but I did get spark just wiring up the 85 motor to the 82s ignitor but wouldn't run). will I need to wire in the 85s R/R as well?
                  Unless your '82 has a fried R/R, it won't matter which one is connected. The only thing that the R/R has to do with the ignitor is to provide power. The ignitor usually gets its power through the IGNITION fuse, along with the coils. The R/R puts its power into the system before the ignition switch, so yeah, there is a vague connection, but I don't know why it would show as "direct".

I just went back to the beginning of this thread and realized what was happening here. Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the '85 engine a 4-valve engine with the siamesed carbs? The '82 engine is a 2-valve engine with four separate carbs (not that the carb configuration matters here). If this is the case, you will definitely want to keep the '85 ignitor with the '85 engine, but the R/R should not matter.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

ok, thanx.. I will see if I can try my friends ignitor this week to see if that's my problem.

Comment

To run the '85 engine you need the '85 ignitor and signal generators. The later engine does not have a mechanical advance, and the later ignitor takes this into account. If you are not getting spark with the '85 ignitor, it's either wired wrong or fried. That particular model ignitor is not very robust, unlike most other GS igniters.

If you don't get an answer to your first post, bump the thread back to the top by responding to your own thread. This is a much better way to get responses than posting a redundant thread.
                      Last edited by Nessism; 07-01-2013, 04:29 PM.
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

it isn't wired wrong, so it must be fried,, thanx

Comment

is there an alternative to the stock 85 ignitor unit?

Comment

Sounds like a candidate for a Dyna S electronic ignition. Does anyone know if it will fit the 85 550?

Comment

Ive read here they don't fit the 83-85's.

Comment

Working...
                              X