No announcement yet.

difference between ignitors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You'd need to make a Dyna 2000 fit... They have the electronic advance.
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

got spark now, the ground wire wasn't good enough on the ignitor.. but still pops and backfires..

Comment

It is quite possible that you have advance from both the mechanical advance on the end of your crankshaft as well as the advance in the igniter. This would effectively double the initial advance, yielding the results you are seeing/hearing. If you have a timing light you can verify this.
        If you can find a way to disable the mechanical advance on the crankshaft (keep it from working) you may be able to use what you have.

Comment

im using the ignitor from the 85 motor. a timing light wont work because it wont run

Comment

O.K., I'll say this. There is an initial advance built into the ignitor. There is also an initial advance built into the mechanical unit on the end of the crankshaft. IDK the actual numbers, but let's say they each start at 20 degrees before TDC. Adding the two gives 40 degrees advance, which will pop through the exhaust as you are observing.
            You really need a signal generator from an engine that has the advance built into the igniter, as Nessism already stated. It is "possible" that a unit from a different engine will also work, but IDK.

Comment

the signal generatror is from the 85 as well.. so nothing should change right? it did run before but a lot of troubles too,, might be carb problems now I have spark. sounds like it wants too but then pops..

I will adjust valves and pull carbs off and check them out again. thanx

rick

Comment

You should be good on the ignition, assuming the coils and high tension wires are O.K. You are correct, the valve adjustment is next, followed by a carb rebuild using Nessism's guide from BassCliff's web site (or Nessism's signature).

Comment

the coils check ok and wires too. i did rebuild the carbs properly with the proper orings from cycleorings. valve adjustment is next on the list, then if that doesn't work then I will look for another set of carbs to try, thanx

rick

Comment

Working...
                  X