No announcement yet.

Got my new stator and R/R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Didn't Steve say something about getting into the rewinding business a while back?
    http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

So today I fitted the new stator and tested it and by my multimeter it is pushing out 88 VAC at 5000 rpm, so far so good. I then fitted the new R/R and did the wiring as per the old one. The previous owner had done the Honda R/R alternative wiring except instead of taking the red from the R/R to the + battery terminal it is connected to a red wire which disappears into the wiring loom this wire has about 12.3 volts on it. The black wire is connected to an orange /white wire that is either the rear light or the brake light.
      Started the bike up and tested the battery 12.7 volts not charging at all. Blown the 10 amp fuse which supplies power to the rear light. Removed blown fuse and put in another, turn ignition on and check all lights, there is the rear light and the brake light working all OK, start motor and immediately fuse is blown again.
      Checked all connections and earth/ground tried one more time with the same result another blown fuse. Question, do you think I should take the red wire from the R/R straight to the + battery terminal and the black one straight to the - battery terminal.
      the R/R is sort of testing OK, in other words the diodes pass the test when the multimeter is set to voltage but it won't do the buzz test so at this stage I will say the R/R is OK.
      Any suggestions as to what might be the problem? regards Neil

Comment

The Honda RR has a "sense" wire which would connect to the taillight and monitor voltage on it. Does the ES RR have this "sense" feature?

Most likely the black wire from the RR you have connected to the taillight is the ground for the RR which you have tied into to hot going to the light. Theres your blown fuse. I'de take that black to a clean spot on the frame, not the battery box, the frame. Cap that old "sense" wire. The RR hot is probably fine, it should connect to a fused conductor before returning to the battery, protecting either in the event something goes bad.

Good Luck

Comment

thanks Matt, I will give that one a go

Comment

Originally posted by OldVet66 View Post
            Didn't Steve say something about getting into the rewinding business a while back?
            Yes, he's our new Stator Magnate.

(I know, the spelling isn't exact, but I couldn't help it...)
            and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
            __________________________________________________ ______________________
            2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Actually it's correct, but I won't get wound up over it anyway.
              http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

You little bloody ripper, I put the black wire to earth and hey presto 14.6 vdc on the battery at idle. all connections cleaned and with a good blast of dielectric grease. I will take it out for a ride shortly, the bloke that I bought the wire to rewind the stator has some special varnish for finishing it off so I will get some and do some baking this afternoon. Thanks for all the help and great information, regards Neil from Down Under

Comment

Ug! I just ordered my ES stator and R/R based on the Stator Papers implied recommendation.

The R/R is out on my '85 1150 so I thought I'd swap both and clean up the wiring at the same time. What are the recommended replacements at this point?

Comment

Originally posted by ACR View Post
                    Ug! I just ordered my ES stator and R/R based on the Stator Papers implied recommendation.

The R/R is out on my '85 1150 so I thought I'd swap both and clean up the wiring at the same time. What are the recommended replacements at this point?
                    post a picture of your stator; it is probably OK, but get rid of the R/R and get an SH-775 (do a search here) It is a Polaris SERIES R/R and brand new for less than $80.

Comment

Working...
                    X